Many years ago I owned a '58 and a '61 Ghia and enjoyed them both but family came first.  Now in my desire to get back to having one I made the mistake a jumped to quick.  Both exchanger are rusted out and as I have never tried to replace one.  What problems can I run into and any suggestion to make it easier. 

Quote 0 0
Wayne

By exchangers I assume you mean the heater boxes. These aren't that bad to change and if you are in doubt take them to your local muffler shop to pop them in. You want it done right so you don't get any exhaust fumes seeping into the cabin area.

Quote 0 0
bellbarn wrote:

Many years ago I owned a '58 and a '61 Ghia and enjoyed them both but family came first.  Now in my desire to get back to having one I made the mistake a jumped to quick.  Both exchanger are rusted out and as I have never tried to replace one.  What problems can I run into and any suggestion to make it easier. 

Thanks, I will have to wait until it warms up, tough laying on frozen concrete.
Quote 0 0
Wayne

We hit 20c up here in Toronto and I got my Beetle on the road for the first cruise of the year! Next week I'll drop the oil and I'm good for another summer

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If you do not need heat in the Ghia consider buying a pair of " J " pipes.  They are only about $ 20. 00 and are easy to install.  MY72BUG  ( a 1972 Superbeetle convertible ) is strictly a fairweather car.  Losing the old rotten heater boxes was a distinct advantage.  The heaters were no screaming hell to begin with and in the cooler weather a light jacket will suffice.  If you really do need heat you can also consider installing an inverter and a 110 AC mini space heater.   Dan in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0