I was wondering the best size and location to mount a external oil cooler I'm here in AZ and it gets quite warm for my 65 Beetle, I already have the external oil filter and am ready to pipe in the cooler but need to know what size to get and the best location any help?
Quote 0 0
Ryan
First off, you'll want a cooler/fan combo. Along with these you'll need two thermostat setups, one mechanical to bypass the cooler when the oil is cold, and one electrical to trigger the fan when the oil starts to get hot. You're local shops can help you out with these. For the price, a 72 plate mesa style cooler with fan is hard to beat and will peform just fine. If you want something really nice then you can go with a Setrab fanpack cooler, but it'll cost nearly twice as much. It's smaller, but cools as well as the larger mesa style cooler.
As for mounting location, above the tranny is the most common place. It's best to fab up some kind of mounting bracket rather than trying to mount it directly to the package tray (underside). With swing axles, it can be mounted parallel with the ground just behind the rear torsion housing. You'll need to fab brackets for this as well. Above the tranny is probably the safest place with regards to road debris but it's a real pain to do with the engine in the car. It can be done with the engine in (I've done it), but it's a tight fit and hard to see where things need to go. --Ryan
Quote 0 0