maclu88

Hi Everyone..

My beetle has been very naughty today. 2 Breakdowns!! Both times there was a loss of power, as though you were running out of petrol. then it would start and rev a tiny bit on its own without me touching the accelorator and then die... an hour later it started and went..after i broke down and was having trouble starting it there was no fuel in the filter.... is this a sign of my fuel pump? it seems to only do it when the car is hot.. any help would be great.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Did you try testing the fuel pump to see if it is pumping? Pull the line off and stick it in a tin can. Have someone crank the engine and see what comes out. BE CAREFULL!

Quote 0 0

Did you ever figure this problem out.  Mine is doing the same thing.

Quote 0 0

Use Wayne's method from the previous post to test the pump, but for the love of all that is holy disconnect the coil and be careful! If the pump fails the test pull the pump and remove the push rod that goes down and rides on your cam shaft. You may find that the cam shaft end has flattened out resulting in it not actuating the pump properly. Also check the plastic guide that surrounds the push rod as, if it is cracked or damaged it may cause the push rod to bind up somewhat while its trying to move up and down. You may find the lower half of this guide is broken off down inside the block, simply fish it out (carefully) with a length of coat-hanger wire. If all that looks good replace the pump which isn't all that bad as the are fairly cheap. Good luck!

Quote 0 0