Hey all, I have a 77 that already had a solex carb when I bought it. Whomever did the conversion kept the stock fi fuel pump and just put a T at the carb to the return line. I need some help I was changing over the fuel pump to an electric 3-5 psi puralator pump and blocked off the return line. I pu an inline filter before the fuel pump under the tank and a filter before the regulator at the carb. I am not getting fuel to the carb. I dont even get fuel to the first inline filter, before the pump. So I pressurized the tank with some air, thinking I needed to manually prime the system. However, the fuel pump is on, but it is not pushing fuel. This is what I am thinking. I am only getting 10 volts at the fuel pump when the ignition is on. Is the stock FI system like modern cars, which sends different voltages to the fuel pump? If not, any suggestions?

Does anyone have a link to a FI conversion to Carb?
Any help would be helpful.
Thanks,
Rocky

Quote 0 0
Ryan

The fuel pump should be getting full power all the time.  Are you getting 10vdc with the engine running (Alt/Gen charging)?

There is usually a pre filter type screen in the fitting at the tank.  If that's clogged then there's your problem.  The line to the pump is gravity feed, fuel should flow pretty darn freely.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

Car isnt running, no fuel   I got 10 volts when the ignition switch is on. Didn't know if I should be getting 12 volts or not. Thinking maybe I need to put a relay to it. What do you think?

Thanks

Quote 0 0
Ryan

Check voltage at the battery.  If you're only getting 10 volts there too, then you may have a bad cell.  I usually get right around 12 with the engine off, and 14.4 while charging.

Most of the pumps out there need a good solid power supply, 12 gauge wire is the way to go and a relay wouldn't hurt if you suspect a poor connection in the ignition.  Make sure you have a solid ground too.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

You must have been reading my mind. I checked the voltage at the pump and I truly only have about 10.3 volts. Plus considering the type of pump I have I thought it was rather quiet. So I removed the tank, pulled the pump and took it back to the alternator connection(which was getting about 12 volts when I checked) and the pump spewed like a 14 y/o seeing his first playboy. Anyways,... it was loud too, so I rigged a relay to it and after a little cranking, I was driving around the block. However, any suggestions on a quieter fuel pump. This thing sounds more like a solenoid hitting over and over again and it resonates like crazy inside the car.

Well, after four months of it sitting on jack stands, in the garage, its nice to drive it again. It handles much better than I would have expected, however, it rides rough in the front and caddy like in the back. oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully there is an attached pic I took today, with all the new suspension, wheels, tires, etc, etc.

see ya

Quote 0 0