OldPunk

Guys, I need to find TDC on my 71 Standard Bug (standard 1600 engine). I am fairly cetain the prior owner or their mechanic mis-installed the flywheel as it never wanted to run at all right when timed up using the flywheel marks. I'm replacing the oil pump and so have a shiny new, light aluminum pulley, and I want to make sure I get it on correctly. I quickly scanned a couple of VW sites, but could not find this info. Anyone out there got a procedure for doing this right? (Hmmm, Wayne, or Dan in Goederich?) Thanks, in advance.

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
OldPunk

Uh, sorry: I meant pulley marks, not "flywheel marks." (Yeah, those would be a bear to read...)

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You had me going when you said flywheel as they are designed to install one way.  The easy way to find TDC is to remove your valve cover on the right side ( if you are wanting to bring #1 up to TDC) and remove your distributor cap but only loose enough that you can have a peek underneath to see which plug wire the rotor is pointing to.  Grab the pulley and advance the position of the crank until the rotor is aiming dead at the distributor terminal for that #1 plug wire.  ( on the passenger's side of the engine #1 is the cylinder closer to the front of the car )   Now, check out the rockers on the #1 cylinder by having a crawl under the engine.  At TDC you are on the firing stroke so both valves are closed to create compression - therefore both rockers should be a bit rattly and loose ( that magical .006 " gap between the rocker and the valve stem )  To fine tune this, remove the spark plug from #1 ( and remember never remove a plug from a hot engine, let her cool first to break the grip between the dissimilar metals) and using a 6 " piece of something like dowel touch the surface of the piston.  It should not be too far in there.  Have someone else move the crank back and  forth ever so slightly until you know that the piston is at its highest limit of the crank throw.  DO NOT drop your measuring device into the combustion chamber!!  If everything is sweetness and light, you should be at the correct degree mark on the pulley right at the split in the engine case.  Hope this helps you with your situation.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Here's an article from http://www.SuperBeetles.com that shows you how Rick Higgens from Bug Me Video finds TDC.

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/apr.htm
Quote 0 0