vwrod

During warm weather after I park my beetle for an hour or so, and try to restart the engine it seems to be flooded. Any quick fix for this problem?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Are you running a stock PICT carburetor?  Does your oil level seem to be up on your dip stick and does your crank case oil smell like gas?  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
vwrod

Stock 30/31 PICT carb, oil level is fine and no smell.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Two things to check right off the bat:
Your PICT carburetor has an electromagnetic shut-off device built into the base of it. 
With your fuel tank being so high and your engine so low, you actually have to stop the flow of fuel when you shut off the engine.  There is ( or should be ) a wire going from the coil to this cylindrical thing on side of the base of the carb.  At the top of the carb will be the electric element for the choke but that is a different creature.  Have a buddy key the ignition while you listen at the shut-off device.  It should have power when the ignition is on and it should "click".  If the device fails in the open position, you will have a flooding condition when you turn off the ignition - so bad sometimes that the crankcase will fill with gas as mine did.  If the device fails in the closed position, the engine will have great difficulty achieving an idle at low speed but otherwise will operate.  I had this condition this summer when the wire fell off on  the way to a car show.  Every stop was also a stall.
      The other condition which is connected with flooding is a sticking carb float.  Once you get into this diagnosis you should be in for a carb rebuild or a rebuilt or new carb.  Some of these old boys have been rebuilt so many times that wear in the components like the shaft which holds the throttle plate outpaces any benefit you are going to get from all of the other new parts in the carb kit.  That calls for a new carb.  See what your budget will handle.  Hope this helps you somewhat.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Friedle
If you have some experience with taking the top of the carb off you can inspect the float needle valve.  Do you have a book displaying all carb parts?  Any buddys who have carb experience?  It's really simple once you know how to get the top cover off clean and carefully.  If the float valve is not working right you will find fuel coming out somewhere on the carb, could be at the butterfly on the bottom or just on top where there is a vent for overflow issues. If you replace the float valve the spacer must be the exact size of the one that came out to keep the float at the correct level.  Let us know what you discover...

Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0