I recently bought a 72 Super Beetle. It came with a bra on it. I removed the bra and now cannot get the front hood open. Does anyone know how to get it opened without tearing it up? I tried looking in my Haynes manual but it does not help at all. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Juju

The usual cause of the non opening hood is that the cable release is broken or disconnected.  The usual fix is that you will need to buy a new handle.  The usual method of getting it open is to take a hack saw and cut the handle in two places close to the attaching bolts, and then rotate the handle pieces off the studs.  Its not what you wanted to hear but you are not the first person to have this problem.   Good luck.  

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Not so fast!  You do know that there is a release handle in the glove box, right?  Pull down on this and see if the secondary latch releases.  It should.  If it does not, have someone hold down the front hood while you pull down the handle.  If it releases, good on ya.  If it does not then the cut the handle in half is your solution.  Then make sure that the pull cable and latch are not seized.  A new handle is only about $ 10 so it is not  a big deal.  Good luck on the project.   MY 72 BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

You only cut the handle in half if You don't have the push button in the handle...

Which all late beetles had....

You will have to cut the handle twice...

Once in the center and again next to the Button...

I just took a pic of a spare assembly i have...

If the cable is still attached to the lock....

Hold the outer piece of the cable in the glovebox with pliers etc

and then pull the inner cable with the lever or with another pair of pliers....

I usually never lock My trunk... I just leave it in the unlocked position..

so I can just press the button to open it....

As the lock is actually a two stage one....

Best of Luck

Lee Noonan  68AutoBug   Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0