A little, mildly interesting fix I discovered today.

When I got my '74 Standard, it had been fitted with dropped spindles and 50 series tires. I'm not all that fond of 50s, especially on a car not noted for sporty performance (the old Pinto 2-barrel carb, but stock just about everywhere else), so when I replaced the tires, I put 60 series tires on it.


With a passenger in the car, I got smoking front tires as the fenders wore grooves in their edges. There just wasn't enough room between the tread and the fender edge. What to do to prevent destroying half of $400 worth of tires without replacing the spindles or putting in an adjustable front end (the only fixes that the local VW garage could think of)?

Enter my old 86 Tempo (my Beetle is quite a step up from my last car). When I replced the front struts on it some years back, the replcement struts came loaded with springs, and I hated to toss perfectly good springs. I had thought about heating them up in my forge and hammering them out into something sharp, but I hadn't got around to doing that just yet.

H'm, as I remembered, they might be just about the right size. I tried them, and guess what--after torching out and grinding off a couple of flat donuts of steel for them to ride on, I installed Tempo springs over my new shocks (since I was there, and since the shocks weren't in very good shape anyway, I figured I might as well change them), and while the ride height is a bit higher in the front now, I get no more tire rub. I also get no lean on curves and the front end is a bit stiffer than some people would like, but I'm happy with it. It was a very simple and cheap fix. It also seems a have coil springs in the front of a Beetle. Oh well, they'll slip right out if I ever want to remove them.
Quote 0 0

That's an interesting fix that I've never heard of. Looks like your Standard has got something in common with its Super cousins now...

Quote 0 0