ablessedbugowner
My bug has a strong fuel smell when you are in it (you can actually smell it when you walk up to it). I was looking tonight at the fuel tank and the breather hoses that come out of it (2 on each side). I noticed that 1 of the breather lines was in 2 pieces so I am replacing that one. I also noticed that these 4 tubes go into a plastic whitish color tube above the tank. This tube is in 2 pieces also. I'm not sure if it is suppoesd to be one piece or not (it is in 2 equal pieces but it doesn't appear that there is anyway to put the 2 pieces together). Is this tube supposed to be in 1 piece (and if so, anyone know where you can get one - and what they are called)?

Thanks
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
jaygyver
Well, you don't say what year bug you've got but, I THINK all of them are a one piece, just a couple minor differences. If you can get a good look at the plastic pieces, both of the ones in my cars are about 16 in long and about an inch or so wide. Our '72 and '75 Super's are OK but a little deformed. They don't sell them any more so you might try a junk yard or do a search on the internet. I guess they get a little brittle as they get old. It's a gas fume condenser, it's suppose to condense the fumes back into a liquid and then drain back to the tank. Not sure of the "correct" name. The Bentley Manual has it it there. That system is suppose to be one of the biggest reason for the gas smell for some people. Either the vent lines get brittle or the plastic "Condenser" will crack or break.
There are ways to get rid of it entirely, either search this forum or search the internet, people have done it. No bigger pain then to replace all the lines anyway, so i kept mine and just replaced ALL my fuel and vent lines as half of them were "sweating" fuel any way. Don't forget your fuel gauge sender gasket, some times they leak. Check your fuel filler hose also.
Don't forget to replace the fuel line UNDER the fuel tank that goes to the metal line to the body and the rear one that comes OUT of the metal line from the body then to the line to the firewall. The wife's '72's rubber line was rubbing on the CV joint boot so i moved it over but a couple day's later i found out it had cracked about an inch away from where it had worn and leaked out 1/2 a tank of fuel onto my shop floor over night. At least she wasn't driving it!
'72 and '75 Super Beetle's
Quote 0 0
OldPunk
My 2 cents is that I had a similar problem in my '71 Standard  Bug and it was the fuel filler hoses. Mine would smell only when it was filled up and especially after a sharp turn. On mine there are a couple of lengths of big hose connecting the filler collar (my term) to the fuel tank, plus a few other small hoses running around. One of the smaller hoses was damp when I checked right after a fresh waft of gas fumes made me pull over, so I replaced that. It wasn't enough, even though I never did see any dampness on any of the other hoses afterward. I next replaced all the hoses I could see relating to the filler system and that fixed it. No more stinky.
By the way, I did not use stock VW rubber as that was pricey and I'm not convinced the OEM rubber is always the best in all situations. I just made sure the hose was fiber-reinforced and fuel-rated.
OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
ablessedbugowner
I replaced one of the lines going from the gas tank to the condenser that had split open. I then used electrical tape to tape the condenser back into one piece. That solved it - no more gas smell!

Thanks
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Your tape on the condenser is not going to last to long. Two ways to fix it though. Both involve going to your local big box home improvement store.
1. Go to the electrical aisle and get a can of liquid electrical tape. it is used to cover connections that tape won't cover or where tape is exposed to weather. Brush it on to your taped up condenser and the tape will stay there until you remove it.

2. Go to the electrical aisle and look for a large diameter piece of heat shrink tubing get a piece that will just go over the condenser, and here is the down side to this. You will probably need a heat gun to shrink it as I don't think a hair drier will get hot enough to do the job. You would also have to pull it completely from the car to do the job right, but this would give you the best looking repair.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0