DaniG
Uh-oh. Now we seem to have a problem beyond the brakes issues. Hubbs checked the oil and it seems thin to him... also like there was too much although he added exactly the amount required. It does smell like gasoline, and I suspect this situation is what created the problem before the holidays when we blew the engine. Doesn't it seem likely?

Now we have a new engine, new lots of other stuff including brakes... but still the original issue? Any ideas what's causing the problem? I have no interest in buying another engine block and a case of deja vu. Help!

Oh, and since I think this is a Super Beetle we have, I guess I can post the same questions over there... not sure how the two sites relate to each other. Thank you!

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Checkthe carb float as it may be sticking and flooding the engine, also did you(or hubby) change the fuel pump at rebuild, because the stock pump mounts to the engine and if it is failing it can leak in to the crank case.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
DaniG
I ordered a new carb float and fuel pump about an hour ago. We have an odd situation in that the we have a 31 pict carb on an 009 distributor... the Super Beetles are supposed to have a 34 pict. It started to become sort of a domino buying situation so decided to try the float and needle fix first, and the fuel pump was cheap so we figured it wouldn't hurt to replace that. Then we can think about the carb replacement if we need to and get the right one with all the proper attachments/gizmos. I'm pretty sure what we're dealing with here is a '71 flat windshield Super Beetle.

Got the Bentley manual today! I highly recommend Better World Books for just about anything and great service.

Thanks - will pass your advice on to the hubster.

Quote 0 0
Sparx_Macgyver
not to thread jack but my oil is similar. thinned and gas-smelling. so the float and pump? is there an online diagram of the carb?
Quote 0 0
DaniG
We replaced the pump and the float and no probs anymore. Well, we had to fiddle with it a bit, but I can't remember exactly why. Something about the gaskets being just a tiny bit too thick, but switched those out and then everything worked fine. Anyway, it was a relatively inexpensive and quick solution, so hope your's works out as well. This issue was why we blew the engine to begin with I think! Don't drive until you get it fixed, because those new long blocks are kind of pricey... not to mention time-consuming. LOL.
Quote 0 0
Sparx_Macgyver
Good tip! Thanks! I'll get a carb rebuild kit, and a fuel pump. Hopefully that will solve it. Well, that and an oil change. I'm hoping that will solve it. Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Sparx_Macgyver
By chance, did you happen to remember that other item that needed adjustment?
Quote 0 0