Juju

In my restoration of my 74 Super Beetle I have finally gotten to the point of putting gas into the tank for the first time. I have removed the charcoal cannister from the  rt rear wheel well and the line is open to the tank,.  There is a terrible gasoline fumes odor in the trunk/ gas tank area and I am not sure where it is coming from.  There are a few vent lines connected to a long rectangular plastic box that has some purpose.  I would like to hear from anyone that has removed some of this gas line plumbing or experienced any similar problems that can help me source the leak of the gas fumes.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Hi juju; it's Dan MY72BUG.  I went through all of that which you describe.  The charcoal canister was long gone from my car.  That long plastic thing which fits up under the cowl was there but was not connected to anything so out it went.  All of this stuff has to do with containing and, I believe, condensing fuel vapours.  I found that their removal has had no effect on the operation of the car.  To plug the openings I covered the threads of a suitably sized machine screw with a product called "Seal-All ".  This stuff is an amazing product.  It comes in a yellow tube with red writing.  It has been available in Canada for at least 30 years as I recall using it to seal a leak in a gas tank back in 1972!  It can be placed right onto a leaking joint or pin hole without even removing the gas from the tank.  It comes out like a clear glue but reacts with fuel to create a firm but flexible gel which is impervious to gas.  Putting some onto the screw threads and then screwing it into the various unused openings sealed my tank quite nicely.  Another place where it was handy was on the neck seal where the filler neck goes into the tank.  A good swipe of Seal-All on the seal and then the application of a pair of modern rad-hose clamps overcame a very slow fume generating leak which presented itself after I installed a replacement tank.  The only lines leading into my tank are the filler neck and the spout which comes out from underneath and leads to the engine.  On the filler neck there is also a smaller line which takes fuel overflow from the neck into the tank and allows air out while the tank is filled.  Another source of fumes can be the steel line which goes to the engine.  If this becomes a problem, you can always by-pass it and go with an all new one using steel or neoprene.   Good luck with the job.  Dan 

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0