Hi all,

I am new to the world of aircooled having just bought a Solo Vee race car with a beetle 1600 cc engine in it. I am learning about cable type clutch operation and here's my question: I can get the clutch to operate by tightening the adjustment so there is almost no free play in the pedal. The car will go in and out of gear but I sometimes feel as if the clutch is slipping. If I adjust the peadl to the proper free play, the car will not go into gear at the clutch is no didengaging itself. I watch the lever on the transaxle and it is going through the full motion.

Is it time to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing? I could not see any other adjustments.

Thanks, Don

Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum
Time to replace i think!
Quote 0 0
Pulled it apart last night and the old pressure plate is a 3 arm style. One arm spring had failed. Got the new pieces and am having the flywheel surfaced today. Thanks for the help.

Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum

good luck and i hope you enjoy it once its all up and running agin!

Quote 0 0
Got the car all back together, took it to the autocross after running it around the subdivsiion, and right after alunching hard, seized the motor. Took it apart and seized the rear main bearing. Oh well, crap happens.

Complete rebuild coming now.

Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum

nightmare! no one likes to hear that!

well back to the grindstone!

good luck

Quote 0 0