jrrhdmust
Well hopefully this will be my last question, I appreciate all of the help from everyone.  I am planning on entering the 71 Super in a Carshow Sat 13 Ocotber.  It is almost finished.

Anyway, I need to reinstall the glove compartment.  Since I installed a new dash.  I am not sure how the little plastic fasterners work.  And it seems that there is aspecial order that everything must be assebled in.  It looks like the trim ring with the fasteners need to be installed first, then the glove box would be clamped in from the back.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
When I reassembled MY72BUG ( a 1972 SuperBeetle convertible) the glove compartment was one miserable little device to reinstall.  The damnable thing was a real puzzle for the way the hinges worked and it had been a long time since I had taken them off in about 10 seconds flat.  I recall the white compartment part coming after I had mounted the door and the trim ring being last.  I gave up using the little plastic pop rivets and used some very short # 8 self tap screws instead.  With the door closed you cannot tell they are there.  One more thing - if you have not done it yet paint the glove compartment door the same colour as the car body.  Carry the effect to the trim ring around the radio ( if you have one ) and the two little grills on either side of the speedometer.  They are easy to remove on the ' 71.  Look in the back and you can see some little metal tabs that come through from the grill.  Straighten them with some needle nose pliers and pull them off from inside the car.  With a nice black dash pad as a background the colour on the dash bits and the glove compartment will really spiff up the interior.  I get a lot of comments on mine and it was one of the cheap and easy details that anyone can do.  Good luck with the project.   Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust
Thanks a lot for the response.  I actually thought about painting the door the same as the body.  It is my daughters car and she had me paint the two grills on either side of the speedometer the same color as the trim ring around the spedo - aluminum.  I think the door would be too much painted that way.  I will check to see if she wants to paint is the same color as her car.

Yea the glovecompartment was a shambles when I got it, the door came off in 2 minutes, so I did not take note how to reinstall it.
71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust
After mounting the door, I figured out I was going in the in-correct order.  This would follow the theme of my restoration experience. 

After the dash, I had to fasten the plastic trim piece that dresses up the opening of the glove compartment.  Like was mentioned earlier, the original fasters are very hard to use and I gave up.  My trusty rivit gun was called on yet again.  Then the door fastens on.  I put the metal hinges that the door pivits on in place and then bolted the dash to the hinges. This took some assistance from my daughter but after about 15 minutes we had it mounted.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0