littleman44

1500cc motor is in the 74 bus. ran good with a bad carb for months then carb died. part coming off and leaking..replaced with new same 30 pict carb now after setting it and running a month to work it's got a high end miss that makes me shift early to not feel bog on it. new top half and 5258 miles on long block. any ideas...thanks 

Quote 0 0
littleman44

the only thing i can think of is that it has a single port manifold  is stopped up so i pull off and the smaller tubes are completely clogged. would that be the problem?

Quote 0 0
littleman44

well that new manifold i got seems to do the trick. ran down the road and it about right . fine tuning points and timing . thanks ct

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Glad you got it fixed  carb heat is important especially this time of year. Are you running in a warmer climate or a cooler one? If it is a cooler one (with snow and ice) you will want to get some warm air up to the carb also. I see you have an aftermarket air cleaner(this is fine by the way) if you look at the back of the engine the tin work(breast plate) should have holes where the hoses for the heater boxes go, and there should be one for the stock carb warm air intake (passenger side). If you don't have the stock tin for the warm air intake just run some of the aluminized hose 2" through that hole and form it up under the push rod tubes. Then bring it up beside you air cleaner so it can get warm air. If you live in a cold climate like me (Alaska) then you will need to buy a tupper ware container that will fit over your air cleaner and modify it so you can in close the air cleaner and pipe only the warm air in to it. It's not hard just a little 5 minute epoxy and a little time then you are all set. And then you can take it back off when summer comes around again.
Olspeed   
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Alaska...
Holy cow... that is cold...
some good information there..
My beetle highrise heater pipes blocked up in the early winter
and My engine eventually stopped all together...
and there was ice all over the inlet manifold below the carby..

I changed back to an original VW air cleaner and added the air heater back on too..
I also used an inlet manifold ecectric blanket around the manifold..  and covered the vents in the engine cover up..

good to see you have it sorted..
I have another inlet manifold to fit too...

cheers

LEE

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
olspeed
I like the electric blanket Lee Do you tuck you Buggie in at night? LOL  I know that I do, I even give it a little pat on the roof before I go inside for the night.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
68autobug
[electric blanket and a pat at night]

I should as its been going really well for while now...

The Hot weather has finally arrived
after  a few nights at 2C degrees now its 31C and feels like 40C...   lol

but We do get used to it....
then it usually goes to 40C
and We Never get used to that.... lol

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
ainokea
  Good looking engine.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0
68autobug

thanks for the comment on the engine...

Olspeed
I see You have a 1976 Non Super beetle
are they rare in the US?

I've never heard of anyone having one over there..
they were sold here in 1976-early 77
instead of the 1303S super...
had the plastic covered flat dash - front disc brakes - IRS rear suspension with CV Joints... torsion bar front suspension
flat windshield

Did yours have the shock absorber bumper mounts??
No beetle ever had those over here..

Lee

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0