littleman44

running down battery on 74 transporter bus 1500cc upright. any idea.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Not to much info here, but for starters do you have a VOM meter or a test light. If not you will have to at least make a test light(12v light bulb and socket with wires coming off). Connect it between the battery (-) and the battery cable (-) and then start pulling fuses until the light goes out. This will only work if you don't have anything drawing on the battery when the key is off(clock,radio,etc) Once the light goes out you will have to look at that circuit and find the short. A Bentley's Official VW service manual would be well worth the expense for the wiring diagrams alone plus other information you can use to work on your bus.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
littleman44

thanks i'll try this and update later..ct

Quote 0 0
ainokea
  I know this is a bit late, and you've probably got your problem solved, but maybe this tid bit of info could be of some help to someone else. If you have a tape deck or CD player, with memory installed, yellow 16 ga wire with a fuse holder, take the fuse out and see if the batt still goes bozo on you.
sometimes the memory circuit starts to draw more current than it's supposed
to and the end result is a weak or dead battery.
  Of course there could be something else causing this problem, but this is just another place to look.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0
littleman44

well it been warm here in tennessee so got out and looked at the bus . went to parts house and got new gen,voltage reg,and battery...kept old suff..put all on and still lights are on the dash for gen...so after thinking about this forum i took out the radio and a add on fan that was wired in and took off the instrument panal and found that the back of one clip had fell between the light switch to turn headlights on. it look like it been there for a long time...put back together and the lights out and it been 4 days and still full battery...thanks

Quote 0 0