jrrhdmust
As many of you know I am in the final stages of a complete restoration of a 71 Superbeetle.  When complete I will post pictures and give an after action review of the work.

With that said, I discovered an easy way to work on the headlight last night.  My headlights buckets had some rust and some of the bolts holding the trim ring clamp to the adjustment housing were completely rusted.  What I found out, is that I could remove the spring from the back, and completely unscrew the adjustment screws.  This allows the two peice mounting and adjustment pieces to be separated.  Now you have one piece with a trim ring and a light bulb, and one metal piece.  You then can put plyers on the back of the bolts that fasten the trim ring that holds the light bulb in, this way you don't have to drill them out.  Now all you have to do is buy new screws, sand, re-paint, and connect everything.
71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Wayne

That's a great tip for anyone that's restoring a Beetle. Good luck and we can't wait to see the pictures. Would you consider having you Beetle featured at the site?

Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

I am sure she would - that would be my 15 year old daughter.  This has been a father daughter project.  She has an easy 300 hours in the project.

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Well done.......and while you are at it - When you shop around for new screws and fasteners check and see if they are available in stainless steel for rust prone applications like headlights.  Also; look for Torx, Robertson or hex head fasteners which beat useless slot and Phillips head screws hands down.  When you attach the new hardware give them a dip in Neverseize compound.  The day will come when you will have to undo these fasteners and you will pat yourself on the back for having been wise enough to take some of these simple steps.  They don't do this in the factory because they know full well that they will never see the car again!!  Carry on with the restoration.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
jrrhdmust

Great Advice!

71 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0