32fire3

found a easy fix for bad heater got a 2500 watt inverter put it under the drivers seat ran two wires to the battery  got a small heater with high low setting works good on low but not high heats the car nicely tryed a smaller inverter would not work it would work even better if i put an rv battery under the other side of back seat but this works realy good to warm up the car on frosty mornings i have all the oil leaks fixed and cleaned the exchanges but if i turn the vw heat on fumes in the car no good electric heat the clean heat

dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Sounds good.  But does your bug do this with an alternator or a generator?  Has there been any effect on the other electrical components?  Where is the outlet for your heat?  Under the seats?  Can this be rearranged to work under the front hood in order to provide defrost / defog ?   My 72 bug does not see this weather but on the shoulders of the summer season a little heat would be very welcome.  I removed all traces of the old system when I did my rebuild.  I replaced the heat exchangers with J-pipes and would never consider undoing this arrangement.  Your solution sounds like a good start but I would need to expand on it.  Thanks for your input.   Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
32fire3

yes the car has a gen. and a standerd battery it will work good for 20 minutes of heat then the low volt alarm comes on so i shut the inverter off hasnt hurt anything im thinking of replacing the battery with a deep cycle one or adding a deep cycle to the system i tryed a 880 watt inverter and it wasnt big inuff use big wires from inverter to battery also the inverter will fit under the seat and just find a small 110 heater with hi low setting i set it on the passenger seat or on the floor works real good

dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hmmm.  Thanks for the input.  My bug is currently purely for summer pursuits but the shoulder seasons are very tempting and a bit of heat in the old ' vert might encourage my wife to take a few trips with me.  I would not consider trying to restore the old heating system which I eliminated during the renovation, but an all electrical approach would be worth exploring.  My oldest son is an electrical engineering technologist.  He doesn't know it yet but he will have a project coming his way likely about when I retire!  If you have any other refinements to your AC heating system please post them here.  That goes for any of you other inventors out there too!!  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
32fire3

well i think the inverter was to much for my generator to handle im now buying a new regulator and generator it may have worked better if it had used a secound deep cycle battery to hook the inverter to but for now im unhooking the inverter learning

dave abercrombie
Quote 0 0