Changed fuel pump due to sputtering and it will not idle now. Car is new to me and has sat for a year. When I got it it needed to have someone put their hands over the 40IDF carb to start it. Once it warmed up it ran but sputtered. Changed fuel lines and fuel filter and carb has been rebuilt. Fuel is flowing in the filter and I can keep it running if I rev the throttle. As soon as I let it idle it dies. Any suggestions.

Quote 0 0
Juju

I am not sure what a 401DF carb is so my suggestion might not apply to your problem, however the more conventional carbs in VW's have a solenoid  operated cut-off switch that is to control dieseling after shut-off.  If this solenoid has a defective magnet in it, it will not allow air or fuel into the carb at idle.  On my car someone took the solenoid out and cut the stem and seat off, and this allows it to run ok at idle but will diesel after shut-down. I have mentioned this problem on a previous post about engine idling.  The solenoid is on the left side of the carb and if you have someone turn the key on and off you can hear it click if its operating correctly. There is an electric wire to it from the coil.  Do not disconnect and reconnect that wire with key on to test.  The spark around the fumes from the carb could do you in.

Quote 0 0