admiralv
I try to remove the axle from tranny on my 73 beetle....But it seem like i cant get it out, because it so tight and I don't know what is the right size of torx for it....Please tell me what is the best way to take it out, and what is the right tool for it. Thanks

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I have a ' 72 and the torx for it were T-40's .  The screwdriver type torx will be useless here.  You need the set which fits into a hex socket and then is turned with the use of a 3/8" drive handle.  I did both drive shafts for two Beetles and every single one broke loose without even the use of heat or solvents.  With all of them loose the drive shafts just pull out.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
admiralv
Thank you so much for your reply.  However, I used the T-40 torx and it sliped on all of the nuts.  Is there a special type of  torx made for this VW Beetle? Thanks
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Are yours torx or did somebody use regular hex Allan screws on yours?  Get in close, clean one out and check to see if this is what has happened.  If this is the case, you may need to look at metric Allans or at least something with a good tight fit.  It could take heat and some light taps to break the rust crystals.  As I mentioned, I braced for the worst and then experienced no troubles at all.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0