SO I was driving my 1979 Super Beetle a few weeks back and it was freezing cold outside, like 16 degrees, and my accelerator peddle stuck fully throttled. I pulled into a parking lot and tried to fix it, but it was snowing, and was a bit difficult to do anything because of the cold. I was only about a mile and a half from my house, so I made the perhaps foolish descion to drive home fully throttled. I was less than a mile from my house when, as I was upshifting, my clutch peddle went to the floor. At which point the car went into gear and zoomed across the road towards a telephone pole, luckily, I managed to miss it and just graze up against the curb. At which point the clutch was fully disengaged. I got it towed home, and had to replace the control arm in the front drivers side, because it got bent from hitting the curb. I also went ahead and replaced both the accelerator and clutch cable, thinking both of them were either broken or damaged. It turned out the accelerator cable was a bit rusty and kinked from age i assume, which must have made it stick, perhaps ice formed inside the tube. But the clutch cable was fine. Regardless I replaced it, but now the clutch peddle still has no resistance, but it is pulling the lever down. Is my clutch ruined? Please help, I am really hoping I don't have to replace the whole thing, because that means taking out the whole engine! YUCK, anyhow, if anyone can shed some advice, or confirm my worst fears. I don't know where to start now! HELP!
Quote 0 0
Juju

Take a look at Rob and Dave's web site on clutch adjustment, it might help.  Good luck!!!

http://www.vw-resource.com/clutch_adjust.html

Quote 0 0
well the problem is that I have adjusted it, the wingnut is tighted to the point where it's pulling the clutch lever down as far as it can go, but doing so with no resistance. When I tightened more than this there was resistance, but it didn't feel right and it still wasn't engaging...
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi superace.  I don't have access to my bug but I do have a couple of trannies in my shop.  Where that lever goes into the bell housing it continues as a solid shaft about
3/4" in diameter.  There are two tabs on it which hold your throw-out bearing.  I am thinking that either the tabs here are broken and the throwout bearing isn't being moved at all or you have diced the fittings on your pressure plate.  Either way, I see an engine removal in your future.  It could have been worse.  At that temperature and at full throttle you might have been watching a connecting rod coming through the side of your engine.  Good luck with it.   MY72BUG

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Can you spell throw out bearing?,ck the fingers that hold the bearing after the "removal" chances are  that's your problem
Quote 0 0