dfarm
I have a 69 baja that I started fixing up a few years ago, and kind of lost interest in the project, but I want to get it running again.

The problem I am having is a really bad flat spot in the power band pretty much right off of idle.  The engine runs fine when the car is just sitting there, with no load, it revs just fine, but as soon as you put a load on it (i.e. try to drive)  it looses all power, and you can't accelerate through the flat spot.

Now, a little background on the engine.  A friend and I assembled it a few years ago (5 or 6) and he got tied up with life in general and wasn't able to help me tune it.  Which I believe is part of the problem, I hate carburetors, as far as I am concerned, they work on magic and fairy dust.

The engine is an 1835cc with ported and polished CB performance 044's, a Norris 407 cam (that is what my friend called it, i've never heard of them, but he used to use them in his off road race cars.), stock rocker arms, 009 distributor, and a single Weber 44 idf (I believe). The engine runs at 9.7 to 1 compression.

I have checked timing and valve adjustment, and looked for anything obviously broken or wrong, but I can't come up with anything.

Any help is appreciated.  I know my way around most newer cars ( I used to work on lots of water-cooled cars), but this bug has been a "learning experience" to put it nicely.

Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
Ryan
It's the single Weber carb.  Running them as singles as opposed to duals makes for a tuning nightmare.  It can be done, but the fix is usually to run them richer than they really need to be.  Whats the current jetting?  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
dfarm

I would have to check, but I seem to remember one set of the jets ( I can't remember which ones) being drilled, so I won't know what size they are.

Quote 0 0