ablessedbugowner

My 72 Super started smoking and when I started looking it looks like there is a hose that goes from right beside the oil filler hole up but doesn't connect to anything. It looks like some oil was coming out of this hose and dripping down on the exhaust which is causing it to smoke. Where is this hose supposed to go? I couldn't see with my quick inspection tonight where it was supposed to go - although it was dark and my flashlight batteries were going out.

'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Am I safe in assuming that you have a non-stock air breather?  An awful lot of Bugs are missing that original stock air breather which in the case of your 1972 would have been an oil bath type.  If it was present, there would be a hose from beside the oil filler up to the breather.  When connected it would provide vacuum for crankcase ventilation taking the crankcase oil fumes up into the breather and into the combustion processes. The use of these little chrome wonders instead of the originals contributes to engine oil leakage as crankcase pressures go unrelieved.  If I could figure out how to get a jpg posted I would take a picture of a stock unit for your edification.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
ablessedbugowner
You are correct that it's one of those chrome aire breather - about 6" diameter chrome. I am now going to start looking for an origional oil bath type to replace it with.

Thanks
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The oil bath type is not after-marketed.  You must find an original.  Swap meets usually have some especially when people go to a dual carb set up from the stock PICT.  If you want immediate results you can go to the unit which uses the paper type air filter.  These came out in 1973 but they are as close as push is to shove for your ' 72 and will fit right on.  In fact MY72BUG uses a paper type from a ' 74 parts car I bought. Go to CIP1 's website and type in part number VWC 113 129 607K  They are a little over $30.00  This unit is set up to receive the hose to nowhere.   It will do you engine some good.  If you also want to add the hot air line which takes hot air from down under and sends it into the carb to prevent carb icing you will have to shop around because this unit does not have that component.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Check the bottom of that chrome cleaner as most have an inlet for the breather to connect to. You might have to just get a hose to fit from the breather to the filter. There is really nothing wrong with the after-market air cleaners as long as they have all the connections that the engine needs and they don't hit the deck lid.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes, I ran a chromed air cleaner for a few years...

with the hose going from the oil filler to a TEE piece and then hose up to the air cleaner and down thru the hole in the tinware....

Maybe US beetles didn't have the hole in the tinware....

Lee
Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
68autobug

I forgot to mention

that oil can come out the end of the breather hose

and goes everywhere....

it shouldn't be a lot of oil just a spray or droplets...

so its a natural occurence

Lee
Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Later U.S. VW engines didn't have a road draft tube(the pipe that goes through the tinware) I am not sure when they deleted it, but my 74 Thing didn't have it and the single port 1500 in my 69 did. Anymore I would just run my breather hose up to the air cleaner as I think it scavenges the crankcase better, but that is just my opinion.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0