I am in the process of rebuilding a 1972 Standard Beetle and am kind of modifying the car to my own tastes. I am trying to plan ahead a bit, and was wondering how exactly i can fit larger rims onto my car. What's the best way to go about this. I'm not looking for anything to crazy here just to be able to fit either 16 or 17 inch tires under the fenders and also be able to get a little bit wider contact patch on the road. The car is completely tore apart currently with the body off the pan. For the suspension i currently have a brand new lowered front beam sitting in my garage ready to go on the car. The only parts i have left to buy is the spindles, and I'm planning on switching to four wheel disc brakes. What do you think is the best way to fit larger tires on without causing any problems?
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Lucas and welcome to the world of VW.   I can see what you are trying to do and can picture you running into some problems if you want the best of all worlds - wider, bigger tires and disc brakes.  Check out " wheels, tires " on the web site CIP1.  They are a big supplier and have a wide range of custom and stock rims.  I went through it myself and all references are to 15 " rims.  You will note that the only references to 17" rims are for the New Beetle.  That said, they do offer some very nice wider rims.  The stock ones were 5 " and 5 1/2 " but they do show mag style rims up to 6 1/2 ".  Much bigger than that and you had better start looking for flared fenders or your paint will be short lived on the outer edges of the fenders.  Your car will have the stock four bolt rims.  In order to get disc brakes, which I highly recommend having driven on the press and pray four drum stock set up, your disc conversion kit will be a four bolt pattern.  Now comes the crunch.  You could  explore other generic 16 and 17 inch  five bolt rims  and use a set of the wheel adapters which will attach five bolt rims to your stock four bolt drums; but to a four bolt disc?  That I do not know other than the wheel adapters tend to be a nightmare for wheel balancing and offer more problems for your tire fit under the fenders.  My bug, a ' 72 convertible, came with wonky aftermarket five bolt rims and adapters.  I sold the whole works and went stock and never looked back.   There  may  be  four bolt  16 and 17"  rims out there for Hondas or other compact imports.  You  need to know the bolt spacing and the set back and hub size of your disc set up.  If you have to sacrifice something, stick with the wider 15's and avoid at all costs using adapters.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
.......and this news just in.  I had a chance to explore E-bay automotive and checked out the old Beetles.  Find item 230167883827.  The seller of a very good looking Beetle has great looking 17" " Boyd Coddington " rims on the car.  BUT, Dig  further into the ad to check out some views of the suspension and there they are - drum brakes on the front end.  Moreover, you cannot determine whether the seller used four bolt to five bolt adapters as no view gives you any idea of the number of wheel studs.  You may be able to E-mail the seller for this information.   Good luck with the project and let us know if you do manage to bring all of this together.  Dan
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Thanks for you info Dan. One thing that i have been searching and have found is that Cip1 does also offer disc conversions in other bolt patterns other than the stock 4 or 5 bolt pattern. They offer porsche patter, and chevy bolt patterns. Or they even offer disc that have no bolt pattern in them so you can get them drilled with whatever bolt pattern you want at a local machine shop. These are also crossdrilled rotors which would be very nice. I guess all i have to do is find a wheel with the right offset not to cause problems. I wouldn't mind even running with 15" rims, i just really want to improve the way the car handles and grips the road, because i plan on beefing the motor up quite a bit. I want this car to be my weekend cruiser and also a show car. Thanks for you information though. Everybody's thoughts can help me make me bring my idea's closer to reality. As far as wider fenders though, do you think ill need them with only upgrading to a 6 1/2" wide rim?
Quote 0 0