Hello Gang,

Yup I just bought a bug maybe an hour ago. Im pretty excited. However, I have no idea about anything about how to maintain it and not kill it. Any tips? It should pass its saftey test tommorrow and then its off on the open road. I will not be driving it in the winter as Ottawa winters tend to ruin cars (ie..salt on the roads).

Thanks,

Greg

p.s. Its a Pea Green 1975 Super Beetle. A pic should be attached to my account. Its had one paint job done to it, which was the same colour as the original colour. Plus it has 85000 miles on it. 

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Hey Greg!

Welcome to the forum. The two most important things to do on your Beetle is to change the oil regularly and to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles (as recommended by VW).

We have articles on how to do both and how to maintain your Dub at our other website http://www.SuperBeetles.com in the Tech Talk with Rick section.

Enjoy!

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Here are some further bits of good knowledge for Bug owners:

1. Buy a Haynes manual;  they are readily available at Canadian Tire.

2. Buy John Muir's book.  The title is something like How to Make Your Bug last Forever.  It is funny, informative and helpful to the newbie or even a seasoned mechanic who has never worked on VW.

3. Doing that valve lash adjustment is critical.  Remember to do it on a COLD engine.  Watch for the gap becoming smaller!  VW valves have a habit of stretching and having the head come off causing untold bad news for your engine's combustion chamber!

4. Spare your cylinder head spark plug threads.  DO NOT remove a plug from a hot engine.  Let everything cool off so that the alloy head relaxes its grip on your steel plug.

5. When putting those plugs back in, use some never seize compound on the threads but don't get it onto the electrodes.  Tricky as it can be, start the plug in by hand to prevent it from cross threading and wrecking you head.

6. Don't go removing any engine cooling tin.  Some very bright German engineers put that stuff there for a reason - to cool that air cooled engine.  Removing it will cook your mill.  Keep the air flow as it was designed.

7. Read your John Muir.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0