Can someone help me with some advice? I want to roll my 1969 combi onto its side so I can weld it all up, renew brake pipes etc. etc., a complete underside makeover. I have read articles where people have done this but it never details HOW they have done it without damage to the bus.
Can someone give me some tips as to how this is done without anything braking or getting bent out of shape?

J

Quote 0 0
Wayne
It took a lot of searching, but here is the information you need:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175412

Hope it helps...
Quote 0 0
Thanks for taking the time to find this. Its a bit more complicated than I thought but I think I am going to have a try at building this contraption as it will make so many jobs so much easier.

If anyone has seen any variations on this theme then I would love to hear about them.

J

Quote 0 0
OldPunk

S'funny how many times Busses end up on their sides, sometimes without damage (there's a story to tell about bored, drunken farmboys, a rainy day, and a pig sty, but you can guess it). But when you WANT to put oone over, it's a big operation. Good luck with that.

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0
Yes. I have also found an article in a VW mag about a guy in the Uk who rolled his bus onto its side to do the welding on the underside. It seems he just put down a couple of matresses and rolled it onto them. Unfortunately it says nothing about HOW. Did he remove wheels, suspension etc. first or what?
I would imagine that doing it with everything still attached would result in way too much weight going on the wheels/hubs as you roll it. but then again with wheels etc. removed couldn't the same be said for the bottom corner/sill etc.

As you said, its easy enough to roll it 'by accident' with a bit of momentum. but doing it on purpose is more difficult.

I've attached a pic from the VW mag.

Quote 0 0