Just bought a 1969 vw ser# 369092921 can you help me ID the type? the body has been cut into a pickup truck.  The add said the motor is a 1900cc,with Dellorto carbs where can I find the motor numbers to ID the engine? It sounds like it needs sparkplugs and or the carburators adjusted because its not running on all 4, it pops a good bit through the exhaust but sounds and feels like its just one plug? Cant buy parts till I know what year and size. I will be looking for a good mechanic in south MS are there any clubs in this area? Where can I buy eletronic ignition to replace the points? I know its a lot of questions hope you can help. Thanks    P.S. The car also has front disk brakes.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Hi ROEARNOLD and welcome to the world of VW.  You say that your VW has been cut into a pick-up.  Does the remaining front end resemble a VW van or a VW Beetle?  This is important as your vehicle may not have been cut at all - it may have been built that way.  As for ID for a VW engine, look where your alternator or generator is mounted.  At the base of the alternator / generator pedestal you will see ZUNDEFOLGE 1-4-3-2 ( this is German for firing order ) underneath this you will see either just a series of numbers or one or two letters followed by some numbers.  Go to SuperBeetles.com and highlight " chassis and engine numbers ".  This will tell you the year and size of your engine.  If it is an aftermarket case, which may hold with a 1900 C.C., there may be no numbers at all.  Anybody out there able to speak to that?  Dan ( MY72BUG ) in Goderich

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

Dan :thanks for the help I did get a little more info, the owners manual is for a 1969 type 3613 chassis #  369092921. The original engine is ether VO or VG 145154 its hard to tell from the old paper work. The body was cut to look like a pickup. I think it may have had an engine change because there is also a maintenance record book in the old paper work. It is for a 1971 vw type 3611 chassis# 3612267644 it starts at 25 miles on 11/2/1971 and goes to 32,000 miles on 8/23/1974.I looked at the motor the generator is on the left side and I did not see the motor #. But it does have  wire clips that hold the valve covers on if that's any help. Are you in the U.S.? Do you take in any outside work or do you know of a good person to bring it to? I live in south Mississippi in the town of Poplarville.This is a nice car and i would like to put it in very good to excellent condition a little at a time. I don't think this is a 1900cc just because other things the previous owner told me are questionable.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi again Roearnold.  Sorry but I am up in Canada; Goderich, Ontario  on the shore of Lake Huron.   I would gladly take a look at your machine but there are loads of very savvy VW people all over the land of the free and they are a whole lot closer.  Take a run through the internet and I am sure that you will find plenty of good Volks folks down there.  I checked with a book called " How to keep your Volkswagen Alive " by a great, late Californian, John Muir.  In the section on models and VIN interpretation he does start to crack the codes for you. With the 369092921 you are looking at a 1969 Type 3 machine.  ( The Beetle was Type 1, the bus was a Type 2 )   The Type 3 came in 3 variants - fastback, square back and station wagon.  With yours chopped it may remain a bit of a puzzle which one you own.  If your aim is to restore yours to one of these variants from a pick-up mod, all I can say is good luck.  You will need a donor vehicle and a body shop man who is part magician.  Your engine is a VO , I cannot see any VG listed, but it is a so-called " pancake " engine designed to fit under a floor.  The VO 145154 is out of an entirely different machine, a Type 4 which was the largely unlamented and rare VW 411, their attempt at a large car for the American market.  It is a 1700 CC engine and in this case would have been out of a July 1969 machine.  Getting engine numbers off of pancakes is not as easy as the Beetle.  With these the case numbers are " on the rear of the crankcase between the oil cooler bracket and the split in the crankcase".  As for the wire bailer which holds the valve covers on, as near as I know every aircooled VW engine has these regardless of year or model.  When you come down to it, working on a pancake variant will be a challenge.  Check out CIP1 for parts availability.  It may become alarmingly clear that your dream of a full restoration on this unit could become a nightmare.  Stuff for Beetles and Vans is readily available and at good prices.  Some mechanicals are shared but other stuff may elude you if it has to be specifically for a Type 3.  Good luck with your endeavours.  Dan  (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

Dan: I did find out the engine is a "pancake", still many questions. I did find someone to work on it and should get more info next week. He did say the body was a type-3 but don't know witch style, he also added that if the engine is a type-4 he would recommend changing it.Was there a problem with the type-4 engine? We love the custom cut to the pickup style its a real head turner. The mechanic also recommended taking off the delarto carbs and putting 2 singles on for the sake of fuel millage. We would like to use it as a second car plus car shows and weekend trips of 200 to 300miles .Thanks for the help.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hmmmm.  I don't have a lot of experience with the compatibility of parts between the pancake engines and the upright ones.  If your current unit is running well, I wouldn't mess too much with it.  The type 4's are just plain rare and this always sets off warning alarms with me.  Go onto the CIP1 website and look up things like cylinder heads, replacement engines and piston sets.  Some 1700 CC and 1800 van engine parts would be compatible for you but some of the other bits and pieces are going to be pretty rare.  Removing the Delortos means that you have to come up with some sort of replacement.  The overall cost had better be pretty reasonable otherwise you would never see the savings returned to you by better gas mileage.   Could you post a picture of the machine?  I would be interested to see what you are getting into.  Give it lots of thought before you get too committed.  Good luck with it.   Dan
Quote 0 0
Just wanted to add some insight. There was a VO and V series case for the type 4 or pancake set-up. The VO is actually a type127 industrial case number. The V case is the 69 411 case as far as I can tell anyway. The pancake is a great set up. It's got all of the upgrades that most people do to the type 1 case. The fan is connected to the the crank so a broken belt doesn't mean overheating issues, just won't have any charging. There's a full flow oil filter, larger oil galleys, the pushrod tubes can be changed without pulling the heads, and they generally have more torque. I'm not real familiar with the V series case but I'm guessing it's a standard type4 set-up. It does say it's a pretty rare item though, so you never know.
Try over at http://www.thesamba.com Go to the forums for 411/412 discussions, there are some nice links available in there.

Good luck!!
Steve
Quote 0 0

I did find out that the engine is a type 3,the mechanic changed the plugs and set the carbs. We also changed the rear main seal,clutch and pressure plate. It runs and drives great. It has a sunroof but the rubber seal leaks where can I find a replacement seal ?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Check out CIP1.  They should be able to help you.   Dan(MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0