bradley
Hi everyone,

My bug ('74) has been running pretty rough lately so I put new plugs, points and adjusted the valves recently. It made no difference. Yesterday I put on a new cap and rotor, when I was doing this I bumped the idle shut off and noticed it was just barely hanging in there. I screwed it back in nice and snug and its running ten times better. I just had a question about the wire, I didn't know what it was for (until I searched through the forum, thanks!) and while it was idling I unplugged it and the motor stopped, I put it back on and started it up and it runs fine, Is this what's supposed to happen? Also the whole wire was bare and corroded and had only about three strands of copper left, I will be changing that today. It ran of course, with this old chewed up wire, but I'm wondering if it is a crucial part of the system.
Any info about this would be great!

Thanks, Bradley.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Yup you need it  as you just found out it is there to keep the engine from running on after you turn off the key. definitely get it changed out as it is a power wire that should run from the hot side of the coil... it should go to the idle cutoff and to the electric choke. Just remember sparks and gas should only mix inside the engine.  
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
bradley

Thanks, Olspeed.

Quote 0 0