Rozbug
I'm new to the forum but not to VW's.  My newest Beetle is a '69.  I think I am having switch problems, but need want to make sure.  The key is  nearly worn out.  So bad that I need to go through a locksmith to take the pattern from the door lock to recreate the key.  I haven't done so yet because the key still unlocks the door and turns the switch over.  I can however, put the key out after the car starts.  My latest problem is that as I drive along the car shuts off.  I can just lighty touch the key and the car is back on again.  No wiring issues.  I eliminated the weight on the key ring to stop this, but it continues.  It's intermittent.  I never know when it will happen and it's not often, but a real pain, esp in heavy traffic.  Is this the switch, the key?  Anyone experienced this and what did you do?  Because I am sporting the more up to date Beetle with the locking steering, it appears that the steering wheel and turn signal assembly have to be removed.  How tough is this?  I fear a couple of hour job ending in pieces all over my garage. ARG!  This bug is my daily driver and I can't afford to screw this one up and be without it.  So, at this point have avoided doing anything.  HELP.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
My Karmann Ghia was doing this when I first got it, key would come out while the car was running and you could pull it out when you were unlocking the door when it should not. Also when you were driving and wiggled the key it would die and come back to life so I would say it's the switch. Mine Ghia is a 66 though and the switch is in the dash so I can't tell you just how hard it is to pull the one out in yours. but on my 76 Bug I have pulled the steering column apart to get to the turn signals and washer and wiper switch and I can tell you it's not that hard to dissemble the column.from looking at my Robert Bentley manual for 66 through 69 it reads as follows
1.Disconnect battery ground strap
2.Remove steering wheel,circlip and plastic bushing.
3.Loosen turn signal switch and remove two screws holding the switch retainer plate.
4.insert key in lock and turn slightly, pull lock cylinder out until retaining spring shows throught opening on top of lock housing (they show a picture here) Depress retaining spring with a piece of wire and at the same time pull the lock cylinder out of it's housing. When installing switch be sure to push the lock cylinder in far enough for insertion of the retainer plate.
It sounds like it would be couple of hour or a weekend project to me but it shouldn't be to hard.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Welcome to the bum ignition switch club!  The key cylinder and switch are separate components and the fix you require is not that hard.  When you start your car the ignition switch sends power to the starter and the coil. When the car is started, the running position of the switch continues to send power to the coil to keep the engine running.  In your case, wear inside the electrical half of the switch is failing to do this.  The part you need is VWC-311-905-865-A available from CIP1 for about $25.00 (US).  Yours is the older style which comes with wiring which you will have to match and join.  Olspeed's instructions will remove the steering wheel etc.  It really is easier than it sounds.  Once this is done you shouldn't need to replace the key portion of the assembly.  While you are waiting for the part to arrive, you could run a hot wire from the battery to the place on the coil which receives the power.  Break the wire with an off-on toggle switch.  Switch on when you need to run; switch off when you are done.  Good luck with the fix and welcome to the forum.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Rozbug
Thanks for the help.  I've been worried about this one, simply thinking about tearing into the steering wheel.  I'm sure it hasn't been off the car. 

I'll give it a go.

Jen

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Removing the big nut from the hub of the steering wheel might require an impact gun.  Some of the instructions show the use of a "puller" but my experience with these is that once the nut is off some repeated "wiggling" of the steering wheel as you pull it toward you will see it come loose.  The screws which hold the turn signal switch in place are self evident.  While you have all of this off, give the switches a good cleaning and lubrication - it will pay in the long run.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0