luftgekuhlt

Again another year has come that I've taken my bug in and it failed the emission test, because the moron that looks like he just came from the homeless shelter, cant tell a manual trans from an automatic, and cant tell what end the engine is at on an air cooled car, and puts it on the dyno when on Illinois EPA web site states that 1980-1968 passenger cars only have to pass the idle test. I have a Friend that took his Jeep Wrangler in and because they entered the wrong number of cylinders into the computer, they almost blew up his motor before he made them stop the test. It amazes me that they let people that don't know what they doing test our cars, so now I have to go to my local garage and blow $75 to have them put it on their sniffer and tell me it's fine. Just needed to vent.

Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Try living in Ca.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
Hooray for the '74 and earlier exemption
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
Ryan

'75, it just sneaked by before they pulled the plug on the whole program.  Now they want to roll it back to '67 again.  They're finding it's alot easier to do than undo.  And that is why I have a bin of spare parts.  Worst case scenario, I build a spare stock engine.  All they have to do is use a sniffer test and abandon the visual BS.  The only way a non-stock part passes visual is if it has a CARB EO number, and it's not like those come cheaply to the manufacturer.  That's why many don't bother.  It's just a money making scam that hurts consumers.

Here's one for you to think about.  Looking at my last smog Cert (quite a few years old), I see that the max limit for HC is 429 ppm on the 15mph test.  Now then let's say my car puts out 430 (actually I flew by at 225) and they fail me.  Later on that day a friggin huge Excursion comes to test.  He puts out 420 ppm and passes.  Now the tricky part, he's getting 11 mpg while I'm getting 26mpg.  In it simplest form this means that even though he's only putting out 420 ppm, he's putting out that million parts 2.36 times faster than I am.  So if my tail pipe is emitting 1 mil parts per second and 430 of those are hydrocarbons, then he's putting out 2.36 mil parts per second and in reality 991 parts HC.  Now who's polluting?????  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum
nicely put! we dont have that problem here in good ol' blighty! luckily cars before 1975 only have to pass a visible smoke test! and as we all know the flat 4 aint a very smoky motor! result!
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Same thing here in Toronto Canada. Over 25 years old and no more testing is required. 
Quote 0 0

Thank god in Washington my car is exempt. Although when it wasn't I never had a problem passing it. The state makes the req. so outrageously loose that almost anything that moves would pass. Our Governor just wants to pinch everyones pocket book. Ryan is right it just a money making scam for the state.

Quote 0 0
I feel so luck.  Here in the country there is no sniff test at all.  Just roll it in, test the brakes, lights and horn.  All for $12.50.  It's great.
Quote 0 0

i don't even think there's emisions tesating inb nebraska that i know of because there's some cars driving around that i know wouldn't pass

Quote 0 0

Wayne wrote:
Same thing here in Toronto Canada. Over 25 years old and no more testing is required. 

It's the same in New York.

Quote 0 0