i'm finally getting my 1971 beetle and i'm so excited!!!  i had to tell someone and ya'll won the prize.  it's green, has 52000 actual miles and runs great.  i'll be doing some minor body work, painting and restoring the interior, so all suggestions/comments are welcome.  the interior's usuable, but i want it snazzed up so it looks like it should.  i gotta admit though, i will be adding a sound system of some sort.  did i mention the sun roof??????????  i'm lovin' it!

Quote 0 0
68autobug

Welcome DragonBeetle,

to the forum... there is another forum called SuperBeetles.com,

which You should look at too...

Is Your Beetle a Super Beetle with the spare tire laying flat,

or a standard Beetle with the spare tire standing upright?

The Super Beetle is called a 1302S and the standard Beetle is just a type 1.  I did have a 71 1302S back in the 70's , and owned it for many years.  You should invest in a few books on restoration or  Owners/ operators/workshop manuals.  These are available New or Used from amazon.com... I have 12 manuals, so You can't have too many... lol

Best of Luck with Your puchase...

Lee Noonan   68AutoBug     Australia - My Beetle pic -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Dragonbeetle - welcome to the world of VW.  Sorry I am so late in flinging my pearls of wisdom your way.  I do most of my posts on the Beetle forum rather than the open forum.  Here are some cardinal rules for newbies and not so newbies:
1.  If you are mechanically minded or want to become so, get yourself some books.  An auto supply place will get you a Haynes book.  Check out book stores which can order " How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" ( a manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot ) by John Muir.
2. Get to know your local VW club.  These will generally have some veterans who know their way through the mysteries of VW mechanical work AND who know sources for parts.
3. Check out CIP1 and buy a catalogue for the princely sum of one buck.  It will expand your horizons on what is out there for you to buy for your car.  ( Think that you can't find that weird little do-dad?  I'll bet you can! )
4. Never pull a spark plug from a hot engine - you will muck up the threads in the aluminum head. ( and when you put that plug back in, start it by hand and put a little Never seize compound on the threads. )
5. Learn to set your valve lash adjustments.  Nobody will do as fussy a job as you.  Do it at the start of every season.
6. Premium grade 10w-40 up here where the weather is a bit cooler, 20w-50 down in the south in the hot summer weather.  Every 2000 miles please, it's not much oil and you can afford to be extra kind to your bug.
7. If you have an old oil type air filtre, it is damned good but change that oil too every 2000 miles.   Many a VW engine has come to grief over simple stuff like that.
8.  When strange stuff happens to your bug, don't rush into your local garage.  They may know zip about your car.  Find out who club members go to or attack it yourself guided by your books and the knowledge you can get right here for free.
9. Enjoy your ride.
Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Dan,

Yes some good info there...

I used to use a tube spanner with a rubber insert to take out the spark plugs and now I have a similar spanner only it connects to a ratchet wrench.. it also has a rubber insert that holds the spark plug...

As I dropped a spark plug [many years ago] inside the tinware and had a terrible job pulling it out...

Don't forget to oil the door hinges and carburetor linkages...

really anything that moves should be lubricated...

As Dan said, better to take You Beetle to a VW club member than the local garage... a non vw trained Mechanic can end up being Your worst enemy... especially if they don't have a VW workshop manual either...

Lee  68AutoBug    Australia

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0