68autobug
Yes, the 1967 Beetle is a classic...
there is One in Australia... as Beetles were made in Australia in the 60's and the 1964 Beetle was made without any changes until 1968, when the the "NEW" 1500cc with, 12 volts ,vertical headlamps, flat hubcaps, 4 lug wheels, large glass & disc brakes etc... arrived in Australia.. So Our 1965-66-67 beetles were identical to the 1964 Beetle...
Keep Your Classic...
cheers

Lee Noonan - 68 AutoBug - Australia -
Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
I'm in the process of planning my Baja buildup and I was wondering how hard it would be to convert my rear suspension to later model IRS.
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Well, it has been done... My Son's girlfriends Baja has a 1969 chassis with IRS rear end.. It was fitted by a young fellow who was later killed, and the family gave it to her.. ALL Standard Beetles in Australia had swing arm rear axles excepting the last beetle - the 1976..- and the stick shift automatics - they all had IRS rear end from 1968, but most have ended up in early model bodies with standard transmissions... their chassis are highly sought after..
I would say it looks impossible to Me.. I would rather find a chassis with IRS and put Your body on it....
It IS a very difficult job, lots of odd angles etc...
I have Never heard of anyone else doing it...

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --
Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
swing axle to IRS change over is fairly common in the buggying circles as IRS offers superior handling offroad. There are a few ways to takle the job: 1. being to cut the pivot boxs from an irs equiped car- u also need the trailing arms and an IRS gearbox. The pivot boxs need to be welded onto the rear torsion tube which u need to make a jig for..then the shock towers and frame forks need to be modified... etc

2. the easiest (don't know if its legal everywhere- it is here tho)way to convert to IRS is to cut the whole rear end off from a super bug behind the id # on the rear part of the tunnel- then weld that to your pre IRS car- all alignment is right then and no mods need to be done.
Quote 0 0
Thanks for the input. I decided not to chop up this classic and keep it stock
Quote 0 0
To MADMANX. It's incorrect that no mods need to be done after the complete rear end from the id plate back is spliced from a late model IRS car if it is going to be a conversion for an early car. The body mount points under the rear wheel housings will need to be changed out (read cut and weld) to facilitate the installation of the IRS to early body swap. Been there and done it.
Quote 0 0
68autobug
You people in North America are LUCKY as ALL our standard Beetles were swing arm, excepting AUTO STICKS and the last Beetle [the 1976 standard....]
So Auto Sticks are disappearing as their IRS chassis are grafted into early oval & other Beetles...
My Son has an oval with an Auto stick IRS chassis and had to cut & reweld the rear body mounts...

Lee -- 68AutoBug --
- helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia -

http://au.msnusers.com/My1968restoredBeetle/shoebox.msnw?
Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
tcvwtx

I have a 1971 convert. superbeetle with semi-automatic.  I just started having problems when running a long time of the throttle or choke sticking causing it to stall. Does anyone have ideas?  Other than that, I have had no problems. When this does act up..it tends to have strong gas odor. Please give any input especially if familiar with semi-automatic super beetles. Tina

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The gas odour especially up in the cab with a convertible no less may have nothing to do with the stalling problem.  When was the last time your carb was set up?  was rebuilt?  Take the air filtre off and start her up while looking down the throat of the carb.  Watch for smooth opening of the choke as the engine warms up.  Test for power at the electric element of the choke.  If you are still using the stock PICT carb test the electromagnetic shut off at the lower driver's side of the carb.  When you turn the key you should hear it click as it opens.  Sort out this and consider a rebuild if it has been a long time since one was done.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0