MY72BUG
Hey veedub lovers.  I'm yacking at ya again.  One of the best things about owning these old air-cooled machines is the idea that you can go back to the days when anyone could work on their car.  The modern look-alike computerized plastic $30,000 jelly beans are the antithesis of your beetle.  Heck, today's mechanics don't even know how these cars work!  The car's computer talks to the shop's computer and between the two of them they figure out how to get the car happy again and how to screw you out of $800 !  So the idea is DIY with your bug, do it yourself.  OK, so you're not a schooled mechanic.  The car you are working on is beautifully simple and simply beautiful.  In your corner you have the VW legends and one of them wrote a book.  Old John Muir ( rest his soul ) put it in writing in his book " How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive ".  So many of the headscratchers that confront you in your restoration have been analyzed and made totally readable and understandable in John's book.  It is still in print.  It is valuable to the utter non-mechanically minded newbie and to the guy or gal who knows their way under the hood of a car but could use some VW expertise.  One of the best pieces of advice that was given to me when I got into this hobby was " BUY JOHN MUIR ! "   ( end of sermonette)    MY 72 BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Ryan

I've not read it in it's entirety, I've only glanced at a friends copy.  But let me add this, there are some things he put in there for the sake of simplicity that can be interpreted at horribly erroneous.  Do some searching on the internet and you'll see.  Overall it's supposed to be a good read, but make sure you have other sources of information available to supplement, and in some cases supersede.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0