Just received a 1981 volkswagen westfalia from my girlfriend's father and it's got alot of problems... We didn't think it did when we got it but here's how the story goes. Took it in to my not so favorite anymore workshop here in coquitlam and they told me that #1 had 120, #2 had 100 #3 had 65 and #4 had 35 on the compression test.... grrrr. So once I found that out they told me they had no time to work on it so I started to. My best friend was helping me and we didn't notice that the exhaust manifold was still attatched and he pried on the head and broke 3 cooling fins at the top of the cylinder chamber and one on the head. I'm worried I've got to replace both the head and the cylinder chamber... Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Quote 0 0
Well, yes, there is a slight problem. However, the head should still function well except for the possibility of a 'hotspot' at that point. While the head should still seal and contain combustion, it may have a tedency to become warped due to the hotspot. That WILL require you to replace the head, or at the very least have it re-machined but this would not change the cause of the warpage. Then, there's the problem that started the whole thing off in the first place. You may have valves or seats that are eroded, or the head may already be warped, or you may have a pulled stud that is causing the compression leakage. You tell me... I'm not even going to comment on the prybar... Ouch.
Quote 0 0

So, here is quite the update..... Got the motor apart about 2 months ago now and found that the guy who rebuilt it before me neglected to put in the head gaskets... Leakage on all 4 hooray! Once the heads were off it was extremely apparent why I had 35 psi on #4..... It's intake valve was oval and the rocker arm had pushed it's way merrily into the first ring for the keepers.... yee hah. Also found at least two valve seats that were floating around... good times. Needless to say the heads were completely rebuilt involving all new valves, seats, guides and everything else except the rocker arms which only needed new adjusters. Not very impressed with my machine shop however who gave me the run-around for a month and a half machining them.... And they came back incomplete.... Had to do all my own rocker arms and they neglected to order a spring. Then it came to that sleeve problem I had..... Thankfully the girlfriend's dad has very deep pockets because they were a no go at the machine shop and he bought new ones.... 500 something later my cooling fin nightmare was over. So the block was next thankfully all the connecting rods were fine as was the crank... A slight polish and all new bearings cured that up well. The camshaft was an entirely different story. It was screwed. So we've now got a new to it one that was reground from a solid lifter cam. The motor is now back together for the most part and now I've just got to figure out how I'm going to bleed my new lifters.... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Quote 0 0