dbawts
hi just joined and have a question. i have bought a 74 bug project which i was told had a reconditioned engine. my problem is that i dont know if it has been reconditioned or not and i dont want to kill the engine by runnin it on unleaded. so can i run it with  a lead replacement even if it has been reconditioned to run on unleaded? any advise would be a help. cheers
Quote 0 0
Wayne

Run it with 91 unleaded and you'll have no problem.

Quote 0 0
dbawts
cheers for reply. but the only fuel i can get in ireland is standard unleaded (or diesel) and that killed a bug i had a few years ago. all i can get is a lead suplement to add to this.
i'm guessin it should be ok to add this even if engine has been recondition as i cant see what harm it can do. would this be right?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
A 74 bug should have no problems with unleaded fuels... At least for the US market VW installed hardened valve seats and stainless exhaust valves after 68 anyway so there should be no problems.(please note on the intake it does not matter) While I don't know about the VW's shipped to other countries I don't think that it would have been cost effective for them to order two types of exhaust valve and seat... one type for the US market and the other for other markets.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
dbawts
ok cheers for info. it was a 74 bug that died on me before whilst runnin on unleaded but maybe that was just coincidence and unfortunate lol

Quote 0 0
olspeed
One thing to remember is that the aircooled VW engine was hard on exhaust valves anyway. In my opinion, if you have an engine with more than 60 thousand miles on it and haven't had a valve job then you are running on borrowed time. I have had a few dropped valves happen(usually pops the head off the stem) so after I get close to the 50 thousand mile mark I try to pull the heads and replace the exhaust valves and grind the seats.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0