looking for a driverside vent window housing/frame and glass/mirror for a 1974 super beetle rag top.  any ideas???  trying to finish it.  almost there.

thanks,

dave

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Welcome to the world of VW.  I too am a convertible owner.  Because your car was a limited production number built at the Karmann Coach Works you will run into some items which are much rarer than the mass production standard and super Beetles.  Those vent windows and frame assemblies are not aftermarketed.  You will need to explore E-Bay Automotive.  I have seen them for sale there.  Another source which does keep some stores of used parts is Chuck's Convertible Parts and Upholstery in Manakin Sabot, Virginia.  The brochure I have is somewhat old and was given to me by an American in Port Huron, Michigan.  ( I am of the Canadian persuasion)  Try the number 1-804-784-5688 .  Do the VW world a favour and add your convertible to the international VW Beetle Kabriolet registry in Krefeld, Germany.  You will find it at "TYP15.com"  If nothing else, check out the website and admire some great Bug convertibles from all over the world.  Dan   MY72BUG in Goderich, Ontario.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

really appreciate the advise and will check out the site.  the paint is done, switched the auto to stick, engine in, new starter, alternator, wires, brake lines, cd player and working on the window and top.  ready to drive shortly.  thanks

dave

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You undertook the change of a tranny from auto to standard?  A brave undertaking that I have often wondered about.  My 72 bug is a standard as is every vehicle I have ever owned if the option was mine to have.  Can you comment for the forum on the degree of difficulty of this undertaking?  Has anyone else out there done this deed ?  I know that there have been Bugs out there where the presence of an automatic has put me off of an otherwise very good looking car.  Glad to have been of help.  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

dan,

the change auto to stick was a project.  the reason I did it was my tranny was shot and was going to have to do anyway.  the sensors for the auto shift are a pain in the arss.  Small connectors can be undone and your out of business (no more driving).  the light and ex.... need to be good all the time plus if problems you cannot push start the auto.  as for difficulty it was not that hard just labor intensive.  also my front brake system was shot and i replaced with front discs.  very happy with the stick shift.   found the vent window for the drivers side so all parts acct for.  new top on this week.  car is driving great. 

david

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
David:  Did the pedal cluster needed to replace the automatic simply bolt in?  Were there modifications to the engine where the hydraulic pump operates on an automatic?  Can this sort of stuff just be ignored when you are converting to standard?  Is the flywheel still the same?  I'm just curious about it as I will no doubt some day be faced with questions about it.  My collection of books for VW is totally without comment on this whole matter.  I guess that they never figured that anyone would be contemplating such a move.  I meant to tell you that Mid-America lists some sub components for your convertible vent windows including the pivot pieces and the glass itself.  I still have never found an after market source for the whole assembly.   Dan in Goderich
Quote 0 0