I am looking for suggestions on lowering my 71' superbeetle. I dont have much money so I will be using the stock tires.  I've taken a look at lowering struts.. but how much lower will I be re-using the springs. I want to sit low... but not so low that I rub tires.

Also what is it going to take to lower the rear-end.
Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum

rear end is a easy thing to do. jack the car up make sure its safe, (ie axle stands) wheels off and disconect the handbrake cables.

on lhe swing arm plate there is for holding bolts undo take plate off and this is the carefull part.

edge out the trailing arm(it will spring down so make sure your arms and legs are far enough away) when it springs down you can then carefully pull the arm out but not too far as you'll only want to move it up one or two splines at a time,usually best to mark where you took it out of, just incase!

in the case of the front ones as far as i'm aware new adjustable shocks are the best route, once you have done it make sure you re do the tracking, a comon mistake and cost you dearly!

hope this helps

Quote 0 0
I don't think that I can use adjustable shocks on a Mcpherson Strut design..... can I ?
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Check out the options for lowering at  http://www.toplineparts.com/ They specialize in the Super Beetle and have a few different ways to get your  ride "Super Low".
Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum
as far as i'm aware on super beetles you can use an adjustable coil over shock on the front? but never had one.
Quote 0 0