mattdude40

i have a 75 super beetle motor that is goin to be a carb car its goin in a 71 body. i have never done a vw before and i am runnin into trouble with my main bearings. i redid the whole motor top to bottom and i took out the old main bearings and they were stampped standard so i ordered standard mains.(not a good idea shoulda mic'd em from the start). but i had my heads done by a friend and i asked him to mic the cases and bearings to see wat size i need. the two bearings that are the same size and are the largest came back with this reading. (housing bores:2.593) i need to know wat mains to order for those i put it all together with the mains that i ordered and the crank still moved around. please help

1ST_time_beetle
Quote 0 0
ainokea
Time to get the crank to the machine shop. Have it brought up to spec so all of the main and rod journals are the same size. Next, have the case align bored, then get the right main, rod, and cam bearings from the machine shop that does the work for you.

This will allow you to assemble with all guess work removed.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0
mattdude40

i had my machinist check out the snugness on the crank its perfect its like the gernals are wore but they are in perfect lookin shape we were thinkin that the bearings themselves werent thick enough? idk but ill call him asap i appreciate the help

1ST_time_beetle
Quote 0 0
ainokea
Either the case was align bored or the crank was cut. Whatever you do, make sure your measurements and clearences are accurate. Better to be sure before assembling.

Ainokea 
Quote 0 0