todd_jackson

Ok, '67 bug.... just drove 10 miles into town from my storage unit, ran 70mph flawlessly. Stopped to get gas, turned it off, fueled up, started back up and came to the house. Turned off the engine for about 20 minutes, tried to start it back up to go do a little cruisin and NOTHING. No start. The key just turns. I checked all the wires and they were all secure, the headlights work, all lights work. But the engine wont turn over. Could it be something with the regulator? the starter, I can't remember if the two little lights in the speedometer come on when you turn the key, they are not coming on at all. I tried to push start it and still no start, so it's not getting power to the ignition or something. Does anyone know what I can try next? Please help. I really wanted to cruise my bug this friday night. Thanks. Todd

todd jackson
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You have a bit of electrical backtracking to do but first, check that the engine will turn over manually.  Put a wrench on the bolt at the end of the crankshaft and turn over the engine.  Moves OK?  Good the engine is not seized.  When you turn the key, you get no cranking? Is there any sound at all from the starter?   How are your battery connections?  Check the power from the battery to the ignition switch.  The ignition switch sends power to the coil and starter simutaneously.  There should be one wire on the ignition switch which is always live.  Use a test light to make sure that this is the case. Put a test light on the wire which connects to the starter.  Turn the key and see if the test light comes on.   If  the light comes on at the starter but the starter does not crank, check the ground from the starter to the transaxel and from the transaxel to the chassis. Remove the starter and bench test it.  If there is no power at the starter, but you do have power from the battery  at the ignition switch , suspect the ignition switch itself.  They are quite replaceable.  If your car does crank but won't start, check that you have power at the coil.  This can be done with a simple test light.  No power at the coil?  Again, suspect the ignition switch. Somewhere in your exploration you will find the answer.  My own no start situation involved a bad ignition switch.  In my '72 you can remove the ignition switch very easily.  You can even take apart the switch.  There is a little " Y " shaped connector in there.  One part of the Y was not making contact with the wire to the coil.  I bent it into place and have had no trouble since then.  Good luck with the project.  Dan ( MY 72 BUG ) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Hi there, this is a bit late but for future FYI, you said it just came out of storage, which suggests to me that you might want to check your battery post cable connections. Back in the 70's when i was in High School my '57 Pontiac Chieftain died at a store on my way home, just clicked at the solenoid, never had a starting problem before. An "old guy" came up and gave me a hand and the first thing he did was push a nail in between the battery cable and the post. Started right up. Seems that corrosion gets in between the connections no matter how clean you try to keep it. It's happened a few times since then over the years and usually 90% of the time that's all it is.

I guess old guys are OK after all.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes,

its best to keep the battery terminals clean and shiney and corrosion free...

The small wire going to the starter motor solenoid should be clean & shiney and tight on the connection...

All copper parts of the fuse box should be kept clean and shiney also...

fuses too...  a small wire brush or small rotaty wire brush is good to do this... disconnect one terminal of the battery first...

take the ground lead off the battery and clean it and the metal where it is bolted... also use a nice shiney bolt to bolt it to the chassis..

all ground connections need to be cleaned and a new shiney bolt used..

When our cars were new, all copper was shiney, all bolts etc new and the current flowed with very little opposition, but after many years, copper gets contaminated and all connections need to be cleaned up...

 

Lee  Noonan     -- 68AutoBug ---- Australia ---

 

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

 

Lee Noonan
__________________
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0