Housinghead

Guys, I am not a VW expert but I'm trying to help out my old man. One of the studs where the rocker arm mounts is stripped where it threads on with the nut. What do I need to do to remove the stud? I didn't see a replacement available on their website unless I was looking in the wrong place?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
While I didn't find it on the web pages a quick call to either Mofoco or a company like Mid-America or CIP1 should get you what you need. Also your local VW shop would most likely have one also. As for removal it should screw out on the later 1500 and 1600 engines as I think that the only ones that were press fit were the 36 and 40hp engines.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
Housinghead

Hello, I finally got around to calling mofoco. I got the old stud out, and have the new one. My dad and I are about put the new stud in along with the rocker arm and nut. My dad is saying that we should not have to put the engine to TDC and adjust the valves becuase the engine has hyraulic lifters... do you all think that's correct?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Only if the engine was built by someone other than VW would it have hydraulic lifters, and even then I don't think it is very common. The engine in my Ghia was built that way but I had to order in a new case that was machined to accept Chevy type lifters and it wasn't exactly cheap, so unless you know that the engine has hydraulic lifters don't assume it. Becodes you would have to know it was at TDC to set the valves even on a bug engine with hydraulic lifters.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
Housinghead

I'm 100% postitive it does. The engine was indeed built ground up. My fathers got three type III's, one is turbo charged. They're all built by the same builder. This one we're talking about is a 1776, and is in our sand rail. Normally, the builder does the work for him, but my dad bought property out in the sticks where all the stuff is in a large barn now, so getting the builder out there is difficult, especially for easy stuff. The heads, I forgot to mention, are Mofco 042's.

Quote 0 0