I had to pull the engine and replace the clutch on my bug because the clutch plate was broken. Prior to pulling the engine the engine started up and idled just fine, no problems at all, it just wouldn't go anywhere because of the clutch. After I reattached all of the wires and hoses, the car won't start. It turns over, the electric comes on (lights, stereo etc) and sputters like it really really wants to start, but it just doesn't ever go. The fuel pump is always on too, even when the key is out of the ignition. I assume that it's not achieving proper pressure that the fuel needs to be in for fuel injection. I owned a 66 Karmann Ghia before, and so my knowledge of fuel injection is not so great. I would love some advice...what could have possibly changed between removing the engine and putting it back in?
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi SuperAce:  Since the car was running before your work and now doesn't run, you need to do the standard tests for a non-operative engine.  First - do a spark check by pulling one plug wire, pushing a screwdriver up into the plug wire boot until you are touching metal.  Hold the shaft of the screwdriver near ( 1/8 " ) ground.  Turn over the engine and you should see a steady spark jumping between the screwdriver shaft and ground.  Since yours does some sputtering it sounds like your spark is OK but you need to know for sure.  Second - check your fuel line.  When you moved that engine out of the engine compartment, did you accidentally crimp the line?  It is easily done and sometimes will be in a place which is difficult to examine.  I don't know much about fuel injection either but you do need to establish that there is nothing impeding the flow of fuel from the tank to the pump and to the injector system.  Your engine compression and air flow to the injector system should be OK.  I'm suspecting either spark or fuel.  Oh yes. Do a static test of the engine's timing as  well.  If you moved the distributor you may have thrown the timing so far off that the engine will pop a bit but will not start.  Let us know how things turn out. MY 72 BUG  Dan in Goderich. Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0