maclu88

hey guys, my dad just picked up a 67 standard beetle 1300. is a project car. currently has bit of body work / painting to do. old fuel was sitting in the tank for 3 years, so this is a big drama... dont know how we are going to deal with it. flushed it as best we could today, connected battery, fresh fuel and filter.. cranks well and strong, but no start. it seems to have an electric ignition system.. not the usualy cylinder type upside down coil.. dad seems toi think it has a " balace (bah-lace) converter)????????? its heating up alot, and so is the little electric ignition coil thing. very hot. any ideas whats going on? and any pointers as to how to get it going?

Quote 0 0
Juju

I have no idea what a balace ignition system is. I think the best way to start is to pull a wire off a spark plug and see if you are getting a spark to the cylinders. If there is a spark, you need to check the timing marks to be sure its on time.  If there is no spark, you need to work backwards through the distributor and coil to find the reason of non sourced elecric supply.  If it turns out that you have ample spark and its a fuel problem, take off the fuel line at the carb and turn the engine over to be sure the fuel is getting to the carb.  If it is getting to there and everything else is good, the carb needs work.  I am not sure what the little electric ignition coil is either.  There is an electric choke on the side of the carb, and if thats getting excessively hot, it could be internally grounded. If that is the coil you are referring to, just pull the wire off it til you get the engine running and then investigate that. It could cause a fire if it starts to arc or short a spark around the fuel system so be careful of leaving a loose dangling wire uncovered.  If you have a spark to the plugs , you could spray some starter fluid into the top of the carb and that might get it to run a short time, and will tell you that it is a fuel problem if it does fire on the starter fluid.  Good luck

Quote 0 0