HELP! I HAVE A FLAT TIRE AND DESPERATELY NEED TO OPEN THE TRUNK TO GET MY SPARE TIRE! ANYTHING I MYSELF CAN DO TO GET IT UNSTUCK?

THANK YOU

MIKE
Quote 0 0
Juju
Unfortunately it looks like you will be buying a new trunk handle. I copied this excerpt from Rob and Dave's Web site and they suggest hacksawing the handle in half. Following is their notes:

Someone wrote - The trunk (front hood) is presently shut, and I can not get the latch to release. I have pulled the inside release and then pressed the button on the handle...but it holds fast. I was able to look between the hood and the body and see that the button on the handle is releasing.....so it has to be the inside release that is not letting go. I have tried pulling the cable with a pair of vise grips, but it still does not release.

Rob responded - It's unusual for the hood to jam without it being fully shut. Normally if it will lift a little and then jams it means it jamming on the button catch, not the main hood release, since the two-catch system grabs with the button catch first, then as you push it down further it grabs on the main release mechanism, meaning it's shut hard before the main catch gets hold.

The only way to release a completely stuck catch is to saw the handle in half - then the lower part should spin off it's single retaining bolt, leaving the catch mechanism still in the latch, but the hood itself is released. It means buying a new handle, but they're not expensive.

Quote 0 0
Hi there, If you can't pivot the bottom half of the handle because of the button you will have to make a cut between the button and the handle curve, as near the button as you can. I would try to pull, crush, (its ruined any way right? Don't forget to take out the spring or any other debri before pivoting the handle if you got it out) or figure out a way to get the button out first, after you cut it in half, because you only have an 1/8 inch gap or less between your paint and the handle "gasket" to use the hack saw near the button.
I would buy or use a piece of sheet metal and lay it next to both sides of the handle so if you move the hack saw too much and hit the car at least you won't gouge the paint. Just take your time so you dent it either.
Unfortunately Bently Pub. also says to cut it, but in "thirds".
One cut, an inch down from the inside of the top curve, 2nd, an inch up from the inside of the bottom curve,(so the two piece's don't hit when you pivot them?), and the third was next to the button and the bottom curve.
Just got a "72 Super about three weeks ago so I'm sure I'll know your pain eventually. Good luck on your mission.
Quote 0 0
THANKS MAN! I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF SUCH A SIMPLE,DIRECT REMEDY.

Juju wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like you will be buying a new trunk handle. I copied this excerpt from Rob and Dave's Web site and they suggest hacksawing the handle in half. Following is their notes: Someone wrote - The trunk (front hood) is presently shut, and I can not get the latch to release. I have pulled the inside release and then pressed the button on the handle...but it holds fast. I was able to look between the hood and the body and see that the button on the handle is releasing.....so it has to be the inside release that is not letting go. I have tried pulling the cable with a pair of vise grips, but it still does not release.
Rob responded - It's unusual for the hood to jam without it being fully shut. Normally if it will lift a little and then jams it means it jamming on the button catch, not the main hood release, since the two-catch system grabs with the button catch first, then as you push it down further it grabs on the main release mechanism, meaning it's shut hard before the main catch gets hold.
The only way to release a completely stuck catch is to saw the handle in half - then the lower part should spin off it's single retaining bolt, leaving the catch mechanism still in the latch, but the hood itself is released. It means buying a new handle, but they're not expensive.
Quote 0 0

HELLO HOME DEPOT! IT'S HACKSAW TIME!!!! THANKS MAN

jaygyver wrote:
Hi there, If you can't pivot the bottom half of the handle because of the button you will have to make a cut between the button and the handle curve, as near the button as you can. I would try to pull, crush, (its ruined any way right? Don't forget to take out the spring or any other debri before pivoting the handle if you got it out) or figure out a way to get the button out first, after you cut it in half, because you only have an 1/8 inch gap or less between your paint and the handle "gasket" to use the hack saw near the button.
I would buy or use a piece of sheet metal and lay it next to both sides of the handle so if you move the hack saw too much and hit the car at least you won't gouge the paint. Just take your time so you dent it either.
Unfortunately Bently Pub. also says to cut it, but in "thirds".
One cut, an inch down from the inside of the top curve, 2nd, an inch up from the inside of the bottom curve,(so the two piece's don't hit when you pivot them?), and the third was next to the button and the bottom curve.
Just got a "72 Super about three weeks ago so I'm sure I'll know your pain eventually. Good luck on your mission.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I feel your pain.  Last fall a friend brought his ' 74 Super over for some end of the season work.  We got into repair mode for a trunk which could not be locked.  The problem was the sheathing on the cable release.  When you pulled the lever in the glove compartment the sheathing just flopped around.  It didn't actually pull the release.  This was cured and we proceeded to close the trunk.  A couple of adjustments later it closed and locked alright.  No amount of jiggling, banging or cursing would open that trunk.  We tried to slip a thin hacksaw blade into the gap between the handle and the lid after the cheap little gasket was removed.  This almost worked but the inevitable damage to the paint was an additional price to pay AND we ended up cutting the handle as well !  A moral to the story for us was to test the release cable function with the mechanism detached from the trunk.  If it doesn't release it is no big deal you can pop it with a screwdriver.  MY 72 BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0