3rdwheel

I recently took the engine out of my VW powered trike. Everything went back together perfectly. It starts great, and runs great, but when I shut the key off, it keeps running . It is not dieseling, it runs too smooth for that. It just appears to want to keep running. I replaced the ignition switch, same result. Any ideas?

Mark Pursell
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
With the ignition turned off do you still have power at the coil?  If so, the ignition switch is not doing its job.  I would trace the wiring  to make sure that the correct wire from the ignition switch  is going to the coil.  Somehow a wire has been crossed or the switch itself is defective.  If worse comes to worse, you can always put a kill switch in the live wire to the coil.  MY72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
3rdwheel

Thanks for your help. I have replaced the ignition switch. Is it possible I have a wire wrong, either at the switch or on the coil? It starts perfectly, and I guess that is the part that puzzles me the most.  As you suggested, I will check for power to the coil when the ignition is off. Thanks again for your help!

Mark Pursell
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
When you put in the new ignition switch was it a straight forward plug-in switch or did it require some wiring?  It should be possible, especially on a trike, to follow the course of the wires from the switch.  The furthest position on the switch is for the starter motor.  The next back should be your continuous power to the coil.  The next position back ( off ) should of course see no power to either of the above.  Somehow a wire must be crossed here and power remains on at the coil.   MY72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0