Friedle

This is my first post in this forum.  I've owned my bug 17-years.  She's kinda of a beater, but she runs great.  See my signature for details.  I work on my buddies bug's, and busses to keep 'em alive.  The best thing I've done for my Super is to put urathane bushings in the track arms-stabilizer-frame, new ball joints.  She rolls like any of my girls new cars    It's great to see so many people into the original fuel saving economy vehicle.

Patrick  

ps-I put in a signature, if it doesn't show I'll try again...

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Friedle.  Welcome to the world of VW.  I can see that you may be a newbie here in the forum but you sound like a VW veteran who has experiences to share.  MY72BUG is a Superbeetle convertible; a four year (1999-2003) restoration which brought a car back from the brink of junkdom into the realm of reliable summer-cruisers.  Somethings to watch with your ' 72.  Strut bearing plates tend to see the rubber split away from the metal surroundings!  Yikes.  Quite replaceable with a little bit of effort.  Watch your idler arm assembly in your right front wheelwell.  Up to this year they were made of cast aluminum which tends to rot and can lead to a dramatic loss of control of the car.  When mine was undergoing its structural work, the bodyshop owner showed me how bad was my idler.  He grabbed the edge of it and broke a piece off with his hand!  No longer aluminum, it was pure oxide with the consistency of chalk.  I had a wrecked ' 74 in which the idler assy. is stamped steel - solid as  a freakin' rock.  Yes; it bolted right in.  That it was made of steel was a clear sign that VW had recognized a bad unit.  Those are just two things peculiar to our vintage.  Heads up on those issues.  Looking forward to your contributions in the forum.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Friedle

Thanks for the valuable info, wish I had a convertable    Anyway, I replaced the idler bushing a couple of years ago, and rechecked it this summer, it's tight.  I also put urethan bushings in the track-arms/stabilizer/frame, she rolls s-m-o-o-t-h  Struts are in good shape right now.  What kind of fuel mileage does your bug get  ? 

Patrick.

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hmmmm.  I can't honestly say that I have ever figured out my mileage.  I can recall that when my stock carb was in nasty shape, the mileage was not that great and my idle was the cause.  The series of fine holes in the venturi of the Pict carb were plugged and I had to overcompensate with the mixture to keep it running.  I did correct the carb problems ( look back here in the forum - way back ) and I would bet I get about 28 or 30 mpg  ( and that is Imperial - British gallons, not U.S. gallons which are 1/5 smaller)  or maybe 24-26 mpg U.S.  We are in litres up here in the great white north but I can't be bothered to calculate Litres/100kilometers.   How about four full tanks of gas per summer?  and that is an 1800 mile summer.  Of my whole fleet, ' 93 Grand Voyager with  a 3.0 v-6, 1977 Ford Grenada with a 250 cid straight 6 and the Beetle - the Beetle is my oldest but gas stingiest set of wheels. ( and likely my most reliable ! )  Enjoy the forum.  Dan ( MY72 BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0