I recently acquired a 77 vert champagne edition that needed restoration after a long absence to the volkswagen scene. I was excited about beginning restoration on the car and looking forward to cruising with the top down this summer! I began the search for an online vendor that would fit the bill for competitive pricing and customer service. I came across CiP1.com and the appeared to be a match-Great pricing, huge stock, and free shipping on some orders. I decided to give them a try with some interior parts. I ordered a set of cream white seat covers, carpet, seat foams, and other misc items. I received the order in a timely fashion and started work on the seats. Covered the fronts - all was fine. When I proceeded to the rear the cover was too big, about 1.5 inches on each side. Left me scratching my head. At first thought I believe the covers to be made improperly. I called them and discussed the matter a salesguy(Chris) and told him of the problem He was a bit baffle to the situation. I explained that I had used TMI stuff before and always had good results and felt the same. I did mention as the website didn’t exactly spell out that the seat covers for that year car and color combo was for a convertible might be a problem but that I doubted it rear seats should be the same. He then called TMI to find out that the part numbers are indeed different…DOOOH. I realize I made the mistake and should have called the order in. I asked to return the rear seat cover for the proper one and they REFUSED. They would be happy selling another seat cover though! He went on about a spill that was a special order and they couldn’t do anything (total BS…the set is available at several other sites)  I didn’t feel very good about their customer service over the situation. The guy made it seem like it would be a horrible nightmare to fix the problem. I offered the suggestion on their next restocking order with TMI if they would order a convertible set and swap the rear seat cover out(Fronts are the same) as then they would have a replacement set for the one I originally ordered and that I would be willing to wait on their stocking order Guy refused and offered again to sell me another cover. I explained that I felt what I was asking shouldn’t be a huge problem and didn’t understand their position as I had many other parts to purchase for the car. I advised him that I was not satisfied with with his proposed solution and would take my future business elsewhere if this was the best they could do. His reply “Well Okay Bye”.

Just thought I would vent a little and warn people these guys are not customer service friendly. While there advertised pricing may be good, their customer service may eat up the savings if there is a problem. Be carefull on the free shipping read the fine print they are a little misleading if you order one thing that shipping is not covered they ding you for the whole order as I see it.They also left out an item(carpet nails) on the original order and never offered a solution to that problem…guess I’ll have to call them back on that one!

Quote 0 0
As a follow-up they did credit my card for the missing item and once again offered to sell me the seat cover for 83 bucks and change...No thank you the entire kit was only 129...guess this was my special deal as discussed on the first phone call with them. Anyone know of a good online source for parts?
Quote 0 0
Wayne

So did you make the mistake in ordering or was the product listed incorrectly at the web site? I've never had a problem with CIP,  or WCM, or OE VeeDub, or BFY, for that matter.

Quote 0 0
I did make the mistake on the order I just expected them to at least try and help me out instead of the care less attitude they took. I wasn't asking for a hand out but just an effort. That's sorta what peeved me about the whole deal.
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I'm disappointed to hear that they won't help but I guess they have rules when it comes to upholstery returns. Automotive suppliers (including the one that I work for) have a stated policy concerning returns. Sometimes these polices are forced upon companies like CIP1 by their suppliers. I know that we cannot return glass, upholstery or electrical items to our head office, maybe CIP1 is up against the same thing with returns to TMI.  

Quote 0 0
bikeworx

never had a problem with CIP1.......every order has been very quickly shipped out and everything has always arrived flawlessly and in excellent shape

Quote 0 0