Its for my rail buggy but that forum is dead here.So I thought Id ask it here since its about motor.

I just had built a 1776 with a 110 cam,044 heads,inch 5/8s exhaust,duel 34 solexs for now.What kind of numbers should I see?

Also Ive went though 3 junk yard motors and think it could be do to oil cooling.Im running a 7 inch fan on a factory Ford trans cooler(not very big) and thats it(stock pump)

Ive got alot of money in this new motor and dont want to burn it up to.What all should I do to the cooling setup?Thanks guys

Quote 0 0
Ryan

If the heads aren't ported, I wouldn't expect much over stock, maybe 10 more ponies, 15 max and it would have to wind out to make it.  Exhaust is way too big for non-ported heads and such small carbs.

As for temps, why put a cooler on if you don't know how hot it is to begin with?  Get some gauges.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

oil colling is only part of the needs for your engine. Make sure you are using the later style shroud and fan. Use a welded and balance fan also. Get as much air into the engine compartment as possible. Use a 1.5 to 2.5 extra capacity oil sump. Use a high volume oil pump with a screw on oil filter or remote mount setup with screw on filter. use exhaust wrap where exhaust tubes are close to the engine. Yout question is so broad. I haven't even scratched the surface on how to make that engine last. The quality and design of the parts used has tones to do with reliability. Go to aircooled.net and look at the tech section. Try not to buy from Gex. Try the shop talk forums. they have a NEWb section which I think you'll find useful.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

Use exhaust wrap only if you like replacing your exahaust every year or two.  It retains heat AND moisture, proven way to rust out a perfectly good exhaust system.  Ceramic coating is a much better alternative.  Secondly, a sump does nothing (measurable) for cooling.  The oil just takes a little longer to get hot since there's more.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0