76fisedan
hey airheads my 76 fi has an oil leak and for the life of me i cant find it????
i replaced my valve cover gaskets as that is typical for leaks but still leaking im wondering if its the cooler because its running down from the top it looks like it anyway this is my dd and dont have the time to rip it all apart but all the imput you guys have would greatly help

thanks,TOM

1976 fuel injected standard is new to me but its my baby
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If it is originating from the top of the engine it is very likely the oil cooler.  The only way to readily gain access to it is to pull the engine.  It comes down to how bad the leak is.  If we are talking gusher then you may want to tackle it before you cause serious damage to the engine.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
76fisedan
yeah i think i have to pull the motor every time i run it she drops about a quart of oil thats bad being that the motor only has 9000 original miles on it it sat for a long time and when i started running it almost all the seals started leaking so i guess im gonna change them all while i got it out any other tips to do since its gonna be out?????
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi
Yes, if its leaking that bad its certainly a pressure leak and not a drip...
it can be the oil cooler bursting because of a seized oil pressure valve...
or maybe just one of the oil coolers two seals have gone hard and cracked.
I have replaced My oil cooler seals a few times..
even My pushrod tube seals have been replaced and i've hardly done any kms on My car...  but over a period of 10 years..
if its only the oil cooler seals its not going to cost you much money..
and You can take the fan shroud off with the engine still in place...  I have done it..
its a bit fiddly but can be done...
make sure you spray the engine with pressure pack degreaser and hose it clean...

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
76fisedan
thanks guys im gonna try to tackle this prob. next weekend so i will let yall know what goes on
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If you are already pulling the mill it is a good chance to look at the clutch and throw-out bearing.  If they are due for renewal you are already there.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
ainokea
Don't forget the rear main seal and the flywheel O ring while you've got it out.

Ainokea 
Quote 0 0
76fisedan

well i got the engine seals and gaskets i started the new thread which will have all the pics to go with it thanks guys TOM

Quote 0 0
76fisedan
sorry about the pics guys but i changed the seals and other misc seals and gaskets no more oil leaks yay me but the seals were so flat no wonder it was leaking?????
Quote 0 0