I need to pick your collective brains as this is my first restoration...!
I'm trying to get the original exhaust out of the car but it just doesn't want to be parted!  All the fixings are out, but where the lower exhaust pipes join (between the clamps) is stuck solid.  It looks like there is some kind of reinforced crumbling seal between them which has broken down.  Is this normal?  I'm begining to think that someone before me has used some kind of sealant?
Its a 1972 1302S Convertable.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
What you are looking at is the real thing; the stock kit which makes the joins for the exhaust pipes.  The two part clamp devices come off and there is a large compound fibre seal - that crumbling stuff - with a metal ring on either side of it.  Someone may have added some muffler cement but when the stock stuff is correctly installed it works just fine without any additives.  Preserve your good pipe and muffler components but all of the other joining stuff - just yoink it off and pitch it.  You can buy all new stuff from any VW parts supplier for peanuts.  With exhaust work, the trying part is preserving the exhaust pipe studs on the cylinder heads.  Invariably one or two will twist off breaking the stud.  Then you summon all of your skills in extracting broken studs and replacing them with nice new ones.  Even if your exhaust pipes are rotted through and the muffler is shot, everthing you need is readily available for reasonable prices.  The heat exchangers, if they are still present, can be pricey but if you don't plan on needing a heater on your 'vert just buy a set of " J " pipes to replace them.  I went down this road on the restoration of MY 72BUG which is also a 1302 convertible.  Now, if you will, go the VW Bug convertible international registry by googling TYP 15 .com  This is a non-commercial site which seeks to register every Bug ' vert on the planet.  Look up the Canadian entries and you can see mine, it is # 330 in the registry.  Hope to see yours there soon.  Good luck with the restoration and DON'T wait until yours is completed before you send them a picture of your machine.  You can always update your picture later.  Dan ( MY72BUG ) in frozen Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Thanks for that, I spent some time today trying to get it off and reverted to an angle grinder in the end!  Which did the job nicely.  Going off theme slightly- when I was under there I noticed that the pipe which runs down from next to the oil filler cap and through the tinware, doesn't seem to go anywhere.  Its just open and hanging free under the tinware - this cant be right?!
I had a look at the Type 15 website, but I have a deep dark secrect; its not an original convertable, it was a conversion.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
This can't be right?  Oh yes it can.  This is before the times of PCV ( positive crank ventilation) when the crank case fumes were unceremoniously dumped out under the car to enhance our atmosphere.  That pipe is doing exactly what it should.  Later versions and no doubt California versions would have nixed this but your ' 72 is correct.  A conversion ?  Actually I have seen one before.  As long as the body artiste did the correct reinforcement on the underside, your machine should be viable.  Otherwise, without the reinforcement rails under the heater channels and the triangular bracing inside the door sills the centre of your car will be somewhat like a trampoline. Carry on with the project.  I will help where I can as will others.  Dan
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0