Super71
Hey guys I'm planning on putting original Porsche 914 2.0 Litre rims on my 71' Super Beetle, Does anyone know of any problems that can arise from those rims, when a set were test fitted to the car the inside lip of the rims hit the tie rod end, does anyone know why this might be and how to fix it?

Thank You
Dan Welham 
Quote 0 0
Wayne

If the rims are hitting then the offset of the wheel isn't correct for the Beetle. You could try to get some spacers to try and move the wheel out a bit.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Do the rims touch the tie rod ends at all times or only when the steering goes from lock to lock?  If it only touches the rims at the extreme turning points there are adjustable "stops" on the steering box which would help your situation.  If they contact at all times you may be forced to do as Wayne suggests.  Check with your local suspension and alignment shop.  They may have some tricks of the trade which will allow the use of the rims.Good luck with the project.  Let us know how it comes out.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Super71
Ordinarily I would think that the offset of the rims is wrong, but I borrowed a set of these rims to see how they look and fit on my 1971 Super Beetle and those came off another 1971 Super Beetle. What I am wondering is if there is anything that could be wrong with my car specifically.

Thanks,
Dan Welham
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The " toe-in" for the alignment is set by positioning the tie rod ends.  Could it be that your toe-in setting is that radically different from the other  ' 71?   Measure the absolute length of the tie rods of both cars from the outer edges of the right  tie rod  to the outer edge of the left.  Is there a significant difference?  If there is and the interference is slight, an alignment shop may be able to help you.  MY72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0