Friedle

My bug has 98K on this engine.  A slight amount of oil exits from oil thrower at the crankshaft pully, and some blowby at oil filler vent hose.  She runs well I get 23mpg combination, driving respecfully. When do y'all think is a good to overhual this baby?  Adjusted valves today only three slightly off: exhaust #3, intake/exhaust #4.  I reset timing a little advanced (009 with Pertronics) that minimizes the flat spot on the carborator, (all vacuum ports plugged).  Let me know what you think?  Patrick.

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Hi friedle:  I'm thinking that it depends on how badly you need your Bug and your financial situation.  If your machine is a daily driver and you need it for absolute sure and your finances are limited - just keep her on the road and tend to its needs.  If it is a summer car, and we in the northern hemisphere are finally seeing some summer driving weather, I would nurse it along until the season is over and then undertake a slow and patient rebuild over the winter months when time is not pressing.  All in all, you are at the stage in the engine's life where you can freshen it up without doing much more than a top end job or you can invest more time and $ and split the case and check the crank bearings, oil pump and go whole hog.  Like everything else in life, it comes down to time and money.    Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Friedle

I drive her daily to school, 22-miles round trip.  I have a Ram/Cummins PU, for hauling stuff.  My wife has a couple of SUV's, (old/new), my girls have late model Nissians.  So enough vehicles around the house if needed, I just like running around in the bug.  The engine before this one I drove until exhuast valve #3 would not adjust anymore, and I had to run an extension on that plug because it began fouling with oil-flat FLAT FOUR equals:TUFF design!  At that time I was driving 130-miles round trip.  You wonder why I like these little cars?  Thanks for your input I'll keep you posted... Patrick. 

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi again Patrick:  Sounds like there is just a bit of gambler in you!  Watching an exhaust valve stretch to the point where you can no longer adjust it is really pushing the envelope.  As that scenario plays out, you have to consider  1. do I wait until that valve head pops off and beats the daylights out of my combustion chamber or  2. do I perform a pre-emptive strike and pull the mill while the fixin' is still a cheap fix ?  With the fleet you are running it sounds like you can bide your time.  This is especially true if you are your own mechanic and are not dependent on some $80.00 / hr. joint to do your work.  One of the great reasons for owning these old machines is that the tech portion of the hobby is well within the grasp of your average shade-tree mechanic.  Keep an ear to the engine bay and intervene at the appropriate time.  Hang in there.  Dan
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0